Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 19, 2012, 10:50 PM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Wow!!!! Great build, thanks for sharing, I wasn't aware of those cases at all!

Have you set something up to monitor the HDD temps? It's been quite a while since I heard of anybody having problems with an overheating HDD, but since there is zero airflow I'd be keeping an eye on it just in case.

Did you feel the case under full load? Is it sitting at around 70c?
At full load it does get toasty on the outside, I can keep my hands on it but it's not that comfortable.

It's a SSD, I reckon it could take the heat better than a conventional drive. And it gets nowhere close to 70C normally, hovers at around 30C inside the case normally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerClaw27 View Post
Where did you buy your Streacom case?
Perfect Home Theatre, but regarding that store....

Bad news.

To everyone with a power brick from Streacom/Wesena/Perfect Home Theatre, be careful with the external power brick BTW, mine died in a little under a month. I opened it up and found CRAP soldering, and connections that broke off due to cold solders and whatnot:

A baby could solder better! I will need to reflow the connections as I have to pay to ship it back, which I thought was ridiculous as any reseller should stand behind their product especially if it was an issue a consumer could not foresee. Utter garbage.

Brendan
Old December 20, 2012, 07:55 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Excellent and simplistic build. I love those more over other types of builds.

Did you ever consider getting something like this powerbrick instead?

PICOPSU-150-XT With 102W Power Kit Includes Pico PSU 150W DC-DC ATX PSU & AC-DC Power Brick

Jonny Guru tore into these a while ago, and apparently they are pretty damn good.

As for the HDD temps, I would be concerned long term for HDD life if it was getting hot. Where as an SSD makes almost no heat, and would probably in the long run live forever in that rig. Otherwise, really nice again mate,

-ST

"We know not why he calls for us, only that when he does we must answer" - DMP 2009

"Dear Iceberg, I am sorry to hear about global warming. Karma is a bitch. Signed - Titanic"

I would rather believe and find god doesn't exist than to not believe and find that he does.

www.realhardwarereviews.com
Old December 20, 2012, 08:07 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks!

I thought I'd get the PicoPSU's straight from Mini-Box that way I can escape the NCIX markups.
Old December 20, 2012, 08:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, I much trust the Pico power supplies and their power bricks over anyone else's. Mind you I have never run into any issues with pico power supplies, running an htpc 24/7 when I did have a dedicated htpc (and the person I sold the power brick too hasn't ever told me it died on them)
Old December 20, 2012, 01:23 PM
Top Prospect

The 'PicoPSU' that came with the Streacom is a knockoff AFAIK, maybe getting the real deal would help.
Old February 18, 2013, 01:01 PM
Banned

My System Specs

A little late to the show, but very nice build. Simple and neat. Just the way I like it. It makes my Antec HTPC look like an elephant.