Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 16, 2012, 08:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Default BIG announcement for XBMC

Looks like they've finally created an android application that requires no rooting or anything else. Looks to run on 2.3 and ICS

http://xbmc.org/theuni/2012/07/13/xbmc-for-android/
Old July 17, 2012, 06:47 AM

My System Specs

If they Pivos XIOS DS is able to do 1080p w/ XBMC then this is awesome indeed. Makes pretty much every other steaming device (non-Android ones) obsolete IMO.
Old July 17, 2012, 06:53 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It's suppose to be able to, they also originally demo'ed it (then took it down) on the new Pivos XIOS XS.

Time to liquid HTPCs eh? I may end up selling mine once my N7 comes (as people have shown it working on that) until the XS is announced (no point in going with older model of it if I can help it).
Old July 18, 2012, 03:36 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

When you stream from a device such as a tablet or a smartphone with XBMC, I believe it streams the files in its original format? (IE, uncompressed)

I usually rip my blu-rays to uncompressed MKV files. It works fine trough my gigabyte network, but Wifi N does not have enough throughput to handle those files.

While I'd prefer to browse my files on XBMC from a remote device, isn't something like Airplay It better suited for streaming to phones and tablets? A server can compress the file, making it suitable for a Wifi connection. It works quite nicely on the iphone, and I look forward to try it on a tablet..
Old July 18, 2012, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Issue with XBMC is simply that it has no native bluray playback and some of us enjoy that. This alone will still make HTPCs quite popular.
Old July 18, 2012, 05:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Behemoth, you forget that there are a few HTPC android boxes coming to the market, with a lot of knock off chinese ones too. All of them have wired connections to them.
Old July 23, 2012, 06:15 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Behemoth, you forget that there are a few HTPC android boxes coming to the market, with a lot of knock off chinese ones too. All of them have wired connections to them.
I am pumped for android HTPC's $100 + a portable HDD = value.
Old July 24, 2012, 04:33 AM
F@H

My System Specs

There's some builds here: Index of /zefie/files/cell/androidapk/xbmc-unofficial - Persona Files

Which at least opens and runs on the Nexus 7. However it seems playback of MKV doesn't quite work as I think it's only using SW rendering.
Old July 24, 2012, 04:43 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Yeah, over on XDA some people have said that there isn't any hardware acceleration for the N7s in these alpha builds of xbmc, causing 720p to stutter and 1080p unplayable. I'll wait until there is a more official release with hardware acceleration for my N7
Old July 24, 2012, 07:00 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth- View Post
When you stream from a device such as a tablet or a smartphone with XBMC, I believe it streams the files in its original format? (IE, uncompressed)

I usually rip my blu-rays to uncompressed MKV files. It works fine trough my gigabyte network, but Wifi N does not have enough throughput to handle those files.

While I'd prefer to browse my files on XBMC from a remote device, isn't something like Airplay It better suited for streaming to phones and tablets? A server can compress the file, making it suitable for a Wifi connection. It works quite nicely on the iphone, and I look forward to try it on a tablet..
I don't think this is about Phones/tablets running XBMC (Though my Ipad runs it and for the most part I don't have issues with it.) but rather cheap settop boxes running XBMC with no issues.

Pooh and I just bought an AD04 to use as an XBMC box. Oh well.