Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 11, 2012, 08:46 AM
Allstar

Default Need new media player

My current Nixeus HD is failing and it's time to get it replaced. It was a fantastic unit for a while but the company basically stopped supporting it when they started working on a different unit and I have zero confidence in that company to stand by their products. I also have a couple oplay's in the house but those cause more headache's than they are worth.

So I'd like to get some suggestions from people and what everyone is using. The things I loved about the Nixeus was the option for adding an internal hard drive and it plays pretty much everything (including flac which is a must).

I don't really care if it's wireless or not as I run a hard line to it. I'd prefer that it is gigabit so it doesn't take forever to transfer files to it. Most of the files I play are mkv, mp3, and flac. I would like to see a unit that supports multichannel flac as well as multichannel aac.

Would like to see the price around $150 or less if possible.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old June 12, 2012, 02:45 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

I would say take a look at the new Patriot Box Office Alpine. It meets all you requirements with the exception of the multichannel flax and and. It plays those formats, I just don,t know if it can do it multichannel. I have the original Patriot Office and it still plays everything I throw at it.

http://www.************/article/2012..._player_review
Old June 12, 2012, 05:42 AM
Allstar

Thanks but I ended up going with the Mede8er. I was considering the WD Live and Patriot but wanted something a little more. Thankfully the Mede8er was on sale for $150 and really couldn't pass it up. My next choices from their all got more expensive (Popcorn Hour and Dune).

Mede8er MED500X2 product page

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old September 3, 2012, 11:31 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nodscene View Post
Thanks but I ended up going with the Mede8er. I was considering the WD Live and Patriot but wanted something a little more. Thankfully the Mede8er was on sale for $150 and really couldn't pass it up. My next choices from their all got more expensive (Popcorn Hour and Dune).

Mede8er MED500X2 product page
How are you liking the Mede8er? I'm currently using the WDTVLIVE, works great but once in a while it will choke on a high bit rate MKV 10+GB file. Looking at building a XMBC Rig....
Old September 3, 2012, 11:45 PM
Allstar

Unfortunately we ended up with the older version of the media player (not the X2) which still works great but the wife mostly uses it so I haven't played around with it at all. It has played everything we've thrown at it though but haven't tried a high bit rate MKV. Looks like they have a brand new unit coming out soon that looks really promising but unsure if that will be available in Canada. I'm still using the Nixeus right now as the fixed the problem which I thought was a failing player.