Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2012, 04:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Let me look into the software raid system that I use that allows you to mirror/back up whichever files/drives you prefer. Personally I don't back up any of my media, as well its something I can live with if a hard drive dies. The only data I have backed up is my documents, which are backed up across two different computers (server and personal pc)
Old January 19, 2012, 04:28 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Let me look into the software raid system that I use that allows you to mirror/back up whichever files/drives you prefer. Personally I don't back up any of my media, as well its something I can live with if a hard drive dies. The only data I have backed up is my documents, which are backed up across two different computers (server and personal pc)
acronis true image is the best app for back-upping drives
Old January 19, 2012, 08:39 AM
MVP

Im still using an HD5450 and a 3 core athlon II with xbmc, its been serving me well, although not effiiciently. If I had to upgrade today I'd do the e-350 route too I think. The motherboard would be personal preference, I'm guesing you want the E35M1-M because its one of the only micro atx instead of mini itx and you already have a micro atx case? cheap ram makes sense to me for what its doing. The PSU I know nothing about, I probably wouldnt choose until I had a case, I think many of of the mini itx cases already have PSU's in them. For fanless your really limited.
Old January 19, 2012, 09:40 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I built my nas out of a mobo that has onboard video. Then I installed a 4x pci-e adaptec raid card and added drives to that and the mobo. I have a very small case with 7 hdd's in it running all my storage drives and it's very quiet. You really don't need much horse power to host files unless you are watching multiple movies in multiple places simultaneously. In fact I set my performance profile to background services.. it uses very little power to run.

For my movies I use a boxee box from netgear... has a great little remote which is awesome because now I don't have a keyboard and mouse floating around the living room all the time. Neat little remote tho... has a small keyboard on the back. The only issue I have with the boxee software is it doesn't always play the mkv subtitles. This can be fixed by downloading the srt file and putting it in the folder with the movie and then selecting it when playing. Takes me about 10 seconds to do this.
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.
Old January 20, 2012, 10:38 AM
Top Prospect

My NAS is a freenas 8 made out of some old parts I had bought (Was going to be a HyperV box but that didn't happen.)

Parts are
PhII 955 (Overkill)
16gb of DDR3 (not overkill as freenas 8 wants 1GB of DDR3 per 1TB of storage but ram is cheap so who cares.)
MSI 790FX-GD70 (Great motherboard for this do to its dual Gigabit nics and 8 onboard Sata)
8 * 2 TB WD green drives in Zraid (Basically raid 5)

This is my storage for my whole house so I wanted to be able to get the files quickly. Its not hardware dependant so I could move all 8 drives to a new Freenas 8 or higher box (not that there is a higher version that freenas 8 at the moment.) All my XBMC boxs (3) connect into this and I never see slow down issues. Speed wise its faster then a gigabit line (HD tests were showing 200MB/s write speeds)

Also have Sickbeard/CouchPotato and Sabnzbd+ installed ontop of freenas so the box is also my download machine.
Old January 20, 2012, 11:36 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoosebum View Post
Im still using an HD5450 and a 3 core athlon II with xbmc, its been serving me well, although not effiiciently. If I had to upgrade today I'd do the e-350 route too I think. The motherboard would be personal preference, I'm guesing you want the E35M1-M because its one of the only micro atx instead of mini itx and you already have a micro atx case? cheap ram makes sense to me for what its doing. The PSU I know nothing about, I probably wouldnt choose until I had a case, I think many of of the mini itx cases already have PSU's in them. For fanless your really limited.
My main HTPC is running an old e6300 C2D and 3670HD and it does its duty just fine. The mATX mobo is probably a better fit too since I already have the HTPC case and it has a PCI slot for my sound card. Big thing is I wanted to get away from the fan noise - I'm into higher end audio. This hardware list is what was recommended by someone who does the same but that was over 6 months ago so I thought I'd make sure that I wasn't overlooking anything that had come out recently. And tbh I'm just curious to have a complete passive/solid state rig. I guessing by the fact that people are more concerned with how I'm connecting the HDD's in the NAS that nobody has an objections to this hardware list.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old January 20, 2012, 11:43 AM
Top Prospect

You might want to look a little different. They might have updates but I know in the passed the Pico power supplies were noisy (As in poorly shielded) power supplies. So they might not be the best for a lover of audio.
Old January 25, 2012, 07:51 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Hi, Biff!

I haven't put an HTPC together for quite some time, so I might not be much help, but I've recently gotten into the SSD world myself, and found that the Crucial M4 series is definitely worth a look, particularly if you're going to stay with XP for the OS; if that's the case, you're going to need a drive that can do idle time garbage collection (ITGC), rather than TRIM, and the M4 apparently has a good algorithm for ITMC.

Here's what I went with: Crucial M4 SSD Micron C400 64GB 2.5IN Solid State Disk Flash Drive SATA3 6Gbps - CRUCIAL TECHNOLOGY - CT064M4SSD2
I know that in my experience, it's been rock solid and hasn't slowed down at all, so I assume the ITGC is working well.

Good luck with the build!