Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2012, 05:08 PM
Rookie

Question Media Player Hub

I'm looking at purchasing a media player. I was looking at the WD TV Live Hub and just wanted to ask if anyone here uses such a device. Also what other similar devices are popular that support a large assortment of files and can be networked?
Old January 7, 2012, 09:19 AM
Allstar

I've used the Asus O'Play and Nixeus Fusion HD and find the Nixeus to be a better unit by far. The Asus has a lot of issue with the wireless and login credential and loosing access to the shared drive on other computers. It's been a real pain in the ass. The Nixeus I've had connected directly via patch cable so I can't compare directly with that. The Nixeus also supports FLAC and has no issues with headers in MKV files (unlike the Asus). So no need to mux your files.

Create something idiot proof and they will make a better idiot.

Intel Q6600 - Gigabyte EP35-DS4 - OCZ Reaper 4gig PC2-6400 - XFX 8800GT 512Mb Alpha Dog - AuzenTech X-Fi Prelude - Alesis M1Active MK2 - Corsair HX-620 - Silverstone Temjin TJ05B-X - Scythe Katana 2 - WD Raptor 150Gb - Seagate 7200.11 750Gb x2 - Samsung SH-S203N
Old January 7, 2012, 09:42 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I've been using the Pivos AIOS for several months now and its a rather great little unit. It's one of the cheaper units out there (smaller/newer company), with the only downside is if you stream to your htpc you do not get a media view to browse your media. I've learned to live with this until they patch it, but others may not like it. If you plan to have most your media stored on it (it supports external usb hdds and one internal one) you won't run into this problem
Old January 9, 2012, 06:35 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

The kids bought me a D-Link Boxee Box for X-Mas and all I can say is this is by far the best I have owned and I have had them all.