Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   Need to replace my Atom 230... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/47527-need-replace-my-atom-230-a.html)

Dr_BenD_over October 21, 2011 09:54 AM

Need to replace my Atom 230...

I orginally bought this thing as a basic file server back be before NAS's came with FTP software on them. Anyway it has evolved into a pseudo HTPC, but it's not even close to being powerfull enough to play back any HD content. What's the cheapest mobo/cpu combo with HDMI output from onboard video/audio I can get that can handle 1080P? I'd like to keep using the DDR2 I've got in it as well.

System now:

Intel D945GCLF w/ ATOM 230
2GB DDR2
HD2400Pro (crippled PCI version :censored:)
500GB WD Blue
BFG 550W PSU
TT Shark Case (So I'm obviously not limited to M-ITX)
Audigy 2 NX (2400 doesn't have HD audio)

supaflyx3 October 21, 2011 10:16 AM

Atom 330 with nvidia ion is probably the cheapest you can get, although it'll still set you back $150-200.

Arinoth October 21, 2011 10:22 AM

You could go with the all-in-one solution offered by Pivos, their AIOS. It seems to be able to play every file format and 1080p content I can throw at it. Has FTP possibilities, internal hard drive (or external) if you want to store files on there, browse the web on it, bit torrent client, and much more. The only draw back is it doesnt archive/scan network storage devices so you have to manually navigate to the correct folder, supposedly this will get fixed in the future in a firmware update.

It's around 100$ before taxes (i think they have free shipping with it). Can't really go wrong with that. For the little quirk I found it has, its still an amazing buy at the price.

Dr_BenD_over October 21, 2011 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 559969)
You could go with the all-in-one solution offered by Pivos, their AIOS. It seems to be able to play every file format and 1080p content I can throw at it. Has FTP possibilities, internal hard drive (or external) if you want to store files on there, browse the web on it, bit torrent client, and much more. The only draw back is it doesnt archive/scan network storage devices so you have to manually navigate to the correct folder, supposedly this will get fixed in the future in a firmware update.

It's around 100$ before taxes (i think they have free shipping with it). Can't really go wrong with that. For the little quirk I found it has, its still an amazing buy at the price.

Wow, I can even use that to check my Facebook status...

I do occasionally use it as a PC when I'm to lazy to walk to the computer room, so that sort of a unit isn't for me.

The 330 is just a dual core version of the 230. I'm thinking along the lines of the newer D510's. WTH is the name of that site that specializes in this sort of stuff?