Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old October 8, 2011, 03:35 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARSTG View Post
I agree, but is the Receiver that needs to decode the audio streams, that means a Receiver with true HDMI audio processing not just bypass. And not all receivers can do that, my guess you need a pretty recent one for that. that is why I was proposing spdif out. Toms Hardware have an Onkyo in their reviews that can do that.
Yeah I ran into that issue a few years ago when I started looking for receiver, seemed half of the ones on the market (especially Yamaha) on the lower end would just bypass, it was only samsung, sony and well onyko that would actually process the hdmi audio
Old October 9, 2011, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I have a Pioneer receiver that can handle pretty much anything you can throw at it. This includes DTS-MA and TrueHD. My old JVC receiver did not have it so it was not a big deal to just have spdif with that one but this one can handle what I want so I would like to provide the best signal to it.

Old October 11, 2011, 07:01 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

I'm not sure about intel, but and AMD APUs will be able to send DTS-MA and trueHD over HDMI. Some newer nVidia GPUs are able to do so too.

AMD is the way to go for a HTPC.
Old October 13, 2011, 11:00 PM
Allstar
F@H

My System Specs

i built an Intel i3 2120 H67 htpc and it does very well hooked to my JVC HD950 run through my anthem MRX via HDMI.

I stream BD ISO from my server and use Daemon tools and Power DVD and HD audio code work perfectly. I am sure AMD may be better for gaming but pure multimedia Intel does well.

After testing I moved the combo to server duty and put an i7 micro atx system with a 5870 just to game on the 105" screen