Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 20, 2008, 09:36 PM
Top Prospect

Default HTPC case: Silverstone LC17, or Antec NSK2400/Fusion

Hellloo
I'm trying to piece together an HTPC from a year old HP computer. The components are as follows:
E6300, 2gb ram, mATX mobo, 1 dvd/blu combo drive , 1-2 harddrives and a 2600xt. All of the parts are basically together so the only thing to decide is what to put it in...I've been agonizing over this for a little bit now and decided to ask you guys if you have any opinions on the following cases:

Silverstone Lascala LC17:
I like this one because it has nothing unnecessary like LCD screens and volume knobs. As result it is also reasonably priced. The main concern here is that from the reviews it appears quite large, which can be a good thing since that would allow me to put an Accelero on the video card to quiet it down (the default cooler is quite loud). This case is 1.2" taller than either of the antec ones.

Antec Fusion:
Good looking case but the unnecessary display and knob increase the price quite a bit. Looks smaller than LC17 and comes with a powersupply.

Antec NSK2400:
I would get this, if it wasnt for the non-stealth drive bays and the plastic (ie ugly) front bezel.

So does anyone have anything to say about these three? perchance convince me one way or another?

I'm also taking recommendations for silent/quiet coolers for 2600xt (if Accelero S1 rev2 happens to be too large for the case of choice).

thanks!
Old February 20, 2008, 09:48 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'd go with Silverstone. Their aluminum bezels look rather classy. I have the LC03 in silver. It's a bit tight on the inside though, but the one your looking at appears to be even bigger so space shouldn't be an issue.

As for cooling you 2600XT, what about something from Thermalright? Could probably run it passive even.
Old February 20, 2008, 09:59 PM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the advice. looks like you're right about Thermalright, http://www.ncix.com/products/product...er=1&sku=26541 should fit my card. how does your LC03 compare sizewize to your other HT equipment? is it bigger or about the same?
Old February 21, 2008, 07:58 AM
Allstar

I have the LC17 and love it. Yes it is large but holds 6 hard drives and can fit an atx or micro atx mobo. Very well built and has a classy look. Also is very easy to work with. Just my 2 cents.
Silverstone Strider 1kw modular
4870x2
Ocz Vendetta 2
Top deck Tech Station
Samsung dvd
Old February 21, 2008, 06:45 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitos View Post
Thanks for the advice. looks like you're right about Thermalright, http://www.ncix.com/products/product...er=1&sku=26541 should fit my card. how does your LC03 compare sizewize to your other HT equipment? is it bigger or about the same?
I guess its about the same size as my Panasonic receiver.
Old April 16, 2008, 10:20 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdn_Madrach View Post
I have the LC17 and love it. Yes it is large but holds 6 hard drives and can fit an atx or micro atx mobo. Very well built and has a classy look. Also is very easy to work with. Just my 2 cents.
I also have one and in general it is very good and I am happy with it.

I do have some issues however... My motherboard had the PCI-E video card slot at the same place as the middle location
for HDD. This made it difficult to plug the power connector which was at the end of the video card, next to HDDs.
Because of this I was not able to install a fan near the front case for those 3 HDDs. When I used a fan for the other
3 HDD (near side of case), the power supply unit was tight against it and made it very difficult to plug everything in.

The unit gets dusty quickly, and very hot inside. I had to buy two extra 8" fans for the HDDs, one for the side unit,
a better/quieter CPU fan, and a slot fan next to the video card. The fan for the middle HDDs had to be attached on the bottom blowing upwards.

The 3.5" slot at the front only allows you the choice of a floppy drive, or USB/Firewire/Audio ports.