Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 14, 2011, 10:02 AM
Rookie

Default Raspberry Pi HTPC

I am looking into getting one of these when they become available later this year, but they seem like a very good option for a HTPC that won't be used for gaming.

Raspberry Pi | An ARM Linux box for $25. Take a byte!

Summary:
- The complete computer is on a single board and costs $25 - $35.
- It is completely silent and draws 1W (can be run on about 4 AA batts).
- Accepts 6-20V input power (comes with an AC wall wart).
- Accepts USB peripherals and has network connectivity.
- Can play 1080p video and never gets warmer than body temp.
- Has both HDMI and Composite video out (so it can hook to a variety of displays)
- The OS + whatever you want is put on a standard SD card that plugs into a card slot on the board.

I'm excited to get one. I'm sure some of the people here could think of things to do with these.

Last edited by Sparkix; November 4, 2011 at 12:07 PM.
Old September 14, 2011, 10:21 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Been hearing about this for a while, didn't think it would actually see the light of day.

I don't see how it's possible to play 1080p smoothly, the drive interface (USB2) and ethernet (10/100) are major potential bottlenecks. It wouldn't suit the other common uses for low power computers either - it won't be a very useful fileserver or router due to the same bottlenecks. It's also way underpowered for school applications in any developed country, not to mention the architecture only supports a few Linux distros and does not cover the most common ones.

So I can't see this going anywhere but to schools in third world countries.
Old September 14, 2011, 10:29 AM
Rookie

This platform has been specifically designed to run 1080p. Your other points may be valid however, my current computer server streams video of 10/100 and it isn't an issue.

I plan to get one anyway as it may be a good candidate for a carputer. Also, just because they are supporting only a few distros doesn't mean that once it is released, the community won't pick it up. Namely XBMC.
Old September 14, 2011, 10:52 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkix View Post
This platform has been specifically designed to run 1080p. Your other points may be valid however, my current computer server streams video of 10/100 and it isn't an issue.

I plan to get one anyway as it may be a good candidate for a carputer. Also, just because they are supporting only a few distros doesn't mean that once it is released, the community won't pick it up. Namely XBMC.
To me a bigger question would be what kind of driver support will it have from the assortment of wireless usb media keyboards. I for one don't use a regular keyboard and mouse and had to install some drivers for one of mine. If i can't possibly do this or if the destro conflicts with it, it makes a 25$ paperweight. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see this thing sell for about double if not triple once its available for retail.
Old September 14, 2011, 10:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
To me a bigger question would be what kind of driver support will it have from the assortment of wireless usb media keyboards. I for one don't use a regular keyboard and mouse and had to install some drivers for one of mine. If i can't possibly do this or if the destro conflicts with it, it makes a 25$ paperweight. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see this thing sell for about double if not triple once its available for retail.
Its running a linux based OS so support will be alright for the major stuff not gonna happen.

And USB 2.0 can play 1080p content just fine.
Old September 14, 2011, 11:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Its running a linux based OS so support will be alright for the major stuff not gonna happen.

And USB 2.0 can play 1080p content just fine.
Must has missed that.

At the 6 Volts it claims to use, to get the 1W they are claiming they'd have to be using some low power chips, the whole system consuming a miger 167mA. Assuming the low end of 1000mAH per battery, that gives the system 4000mAH. This would mean the device would be able to be used for about 24 hours of constant/steady use before you'd have to replace the batteries (or recharge them).

Looks like it'll be 35$ if you want it to have a NIC in it, 25$ without.
Old September 14, 2011, 11:03 AM
Rookie

The site states that this is a charity organization. The price is unlikely to skyrocket as that would conflict with their mission. I am confortable with spending $35 and possible ending up with a really cool paperweight. ;)
Old September 14, 2011, 11:05 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Must has missed that.

At the 6 Volts it claims to use, to get the 1W they are claiming they'd have to be using some low power chips, the whole system consuming a miger 167mA. Assuming the low end of 1000mAH per battery, that gives the system 4000mAH. This would mean the device would be able to be used for about 24 hours of constant/steady use before you'd have to replace the batteries (or recharge them).

Looks like it'll be 35$ if you want it to have a NIC in it, 25$ without.
I like the idea of using external power with AA as a battery backup of sorts. Great for a carputer. If you used rechargeable batteries, it could keep them fresh until they are needed.
Old September 14, 2011, 11:07 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Another question pops into my head is if their device is actually licensed to use HDMI port/protocol. I know that Display Port is essentially open source and free to use, however you have to pay royalties if you want to use HDMI in a device (not sure how much it is).

HDMI :: Manufacturer :: Becoming an Adopter :: Terms
Old September 14, 2011, 11:15 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Another question pops into my head is if their device is actually licensed to use HDMI port/protocol. I know that Display Port is essentially open source and free to use, however you have to pay royalties if you want to use HDMI in a device (not sure how much it is).

HDMI :: Manufacturer :: Becoming an Adopter :: Terms

The wiki states it has an "HDMI connector providing HDMI 1.3a out"

Here is a link to the hardware details in the wiki:
RaspberryPiBoard - eLinux.org