Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old August 18, 2011, 10:46 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Default Vid card with audio support HDMI *updated*

I need a card for a win7 ultimate media box using mymovies and a drobo file server.

It must have HDMI and support audio or audio passthrough I guess. I was looking at this card:
Asus EAH6850 DirectCU Radeon HD 6850 1GB v2 PCI-E w/ Dual DVI, HDMI, DisplayPort at Memory Express Computers

But haven't thus far been able to ascertain whether the audio is functional through this card or not.

The nvidia 460 is having issues with the ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 Mobo.

This computer is being sent to me tommorow via UPS in an effort to fix whatever is ailing it.

I have no other option here my hands are tied. The video and audio MUST pass through the single HDMI cable into the:
Interga Amp Products

which then feeds the media room.

btw... money is no object here. This computer will be running theatre room for his ski chalet.

TIA

-Dean

Last edited by clshades; August 19, 2011 at 06:31 PM.
Old August 18, 2011, 10:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

You should be able to just plug in the hdmi cord, go into bios, disable onboard sound, reboot, install drivers, go to your volume icon, right click, open playback devices, set AMD output device to default.
While I do not have that card it works with my 4xxx and 6970 cards. Sometimes it can be flaky though and just "kick out" a reboot solves it though.

Edit: The audio kicks out I mean, usually right after a update :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old August 18, 2011, 11:06 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

if you aren't gaming, get a HD4650 for under $50, it passes audio through HDMI no problem and handles GPU offloading.
Old August 19, 2011, 12:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Flakey isn't an option he will like unfortunately. Everytime something doesn't work at the chalet guests want a refund. When the place goes for 2500 a night a 400 dollar vid card isn't the issue a 400 dollar flakey vid card is. :-) I'm pushing hard to get him to install a sound card that WON'T flake out ever with S/PDIF straight to the reciever... however he really set on using the expensive HDMI cable he bought along with re-wiring the media room with HDMI 1.4b for 3D stuff down the road.

Are the nvidia options much better? Pre-fermi gpus?

The 4650 isn't a bad idea if I can get my hands on one to test it out. He did state he wanted a "very good video card" It will in the near future be a very busy media box.

Keep the ideas comin fellas! It's all great info!

Here are the specs on the rig he is sending me.

Video Card
- NVIDIA GeForce 460

Hard Drives
- Two Solid State Drives in RAID Mirror (full redundancy)
- Crucial Real SSD C300 CTFDDAC128MAG-1G1 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD).
- This is for the OS (Windows 7 Ultimate-64bit)
Other
- Extra hard drive for other shit. Donít remember what it is. 1tb or so.
- BluRay DVD: dk what brand

Motherboard
- ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard.
Memory
- 16GB (4 x 4GB)
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBRH

CPU
- Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80601960

Power Supply
- CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80

Last edited by clshades; August 19, 2011 at 12:48 AM.
Old August 19, 2011, 06:31 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Welp the rebuild is done and it's now time to fire this sucker up. Apparently the person that originally built the computer had issues with running triple channel ram config so I'll need to do a little reading on it as the ram may be causing issues. When i 1st opened it up I realized instantly that a rookie had very quickly slapped this together so I took the liberty of re-wiring it etc.

Here are a few pics so far.

Before:

MIDDLE

END
Old August 19, 2011, 06:50 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

To get tripple fore ram its every other slot so OXOXOX so Ram in eather X slots or O slots on an X58.
Most of them anyway. :)

Edit : Needs to be Tripple channel Ram also

edit 2 : Like this Kingston HyperX Genesis 12GB DDR3-1600MHz CL9 Triple Channel Kit (3 x 4GB) w/ Intel XMP at Memory Express Computers

Last edited by ZZLEE; August 19, 2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old August 19, 2011, 08:07 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Welp after an hour or so of testing I have discovered the 1st ram slot in the triple array is dead. Verified. I can boot on each stick in the 4th slot (B1) but NOT in the 2nd slot A1. Replace the board tommorow I guess.
Old August 19, 2011, 08:16 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

just fore fun try 3 sticks in the leave 3 slots then 3 sticks should run in duel. like the xo bit seccond slot then every other slot if the board or chipo rnt damageed should give tripple. but you Need tipple channel memory to get tripple channel memoory. If it doesn't say it is its not tripple channel capable.
Old August 20, 2011, 12:34 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It's done... after reading forums and other peoples issues the board is getting replaced. Just backing up the raid array incase I have to re-install OS. This thing will cost the owner 1000 bux a night if it's not working correctly so replacing the mobo isn't something he is concerned about. Other poeple have been having problems with the Sabertooth x58 board too.

This is the new board. Virtually the same specs other than the sound card (which i don't need) and the Nic card (which windows will deal with easily.)
More later...
Old August 23, 2011, 08:58 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

It's up and running. Owner is tweaking like crazy. Customer is happy so life is good. Supergrover: Thanks for the reccomend on the ati card it's working flawlessly!

here's a little tidbit just for you if you like. Simultanious remote login that doesn't crash WMC for Win7

https://skydrive.live.com/redir.aspx...81181E2DF7!140