Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   Vista 32 or 64 bit (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/439-vista-32-64-bit.html)

mo' power February 26, 2007 12:22 PM

Vista 32 or 64 bit

Vista seems to be all the rage these days and I'm aware that some of you are using it already. I'm not ready to get it just yet. I'm going to wait for SP1 to be released and drivers are no longer beta. My cpu is 64 bit ready. My question is what are the main differences between 32 and 64 bit? Any pc performance advantages with 64? Are PC games compatible with both versions? Would it be worth it in the long run to go 64? Any help would be appreciated.

*could a mod please move this to the Vista chat thread?*

Deathspawner February 26, 2007 12:42 PM

Neither. But, if you enjoy suffering, the 32-Bit will be the least problematic at the moment. I know a lot of friends who have 64-Bit and regret it... especially those with hardware that needs special drivers.

In my opinion, 64-Bit is nonsense right now to even think about... there is just no real support, -unless- you are into modeling with 3D Studio Max or AutoCAD. 64-Bit is most beneficial on servers right now.

SHaCK February 26, 2007 12:52 PM

Correct if i'm wrong but if you buy the 32bit version, you can just send it back to MS to get the 64 for free. So you may get the 32bit and eventually move to 64bit once it software support will be better.

Gav February 26, 2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SHaCK (Post 2288)
Correct if i'm wrong but if you buy the 32bit version, you can just send it back to MS to get the 64 for free. So you may get the 32bit and eventually move to 64bit once it software support will be better.

I believe this only applies to the retail versions of Vista and it might only be the Ultimate version at that. I'm not 100% on Ultimate being the only sku that allows the choice.

Gav February 26, 2007 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mo' power (Post 2285)
Vista seems to be all the rage these days and I'm aware that some of you are using it already. I'm not ready to get it just yet. I'm going to wait for SP1 to be released and drivers are no longer beta. My cpu is 64 bit ready. My question is what are the main differences between 32 and 64 bit? Any pc performance advantages with 64? Are PC games compatible with both versions? Would it be worth it in the long run to go 64? Any help would be appreciated.

At this point, the only main advantage I see for going with the 64bit version is that it will support 4gb's of ram. I believe the 32bit is limited to 3gb's.

Deathspawner February 26, 2007 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav (Post 2290)
I believe this only applies to the retail versions of Vista and it might only be the Ultimate version at that. I'm not 100% on Ultimate being the only sku that allows the choice.

Retail versions of Vista include both the 32-Bit and 64-Bit on the same disc... you have a choice when you install as far as I recall. OEM versions include one or the other. If you purchase a pre-built PC though from Dell or whoever, 64-Bit -has- to be Ultimate, just so they can make more money.

mo' power February 26, 2007 10:29 PM

Well, that answers my questions. Vista 32 it is. (once service pack 1 is released)

Deathspawner February 27, 2007 09:24 AM

Honestly, pouring warm tar on yourself and letting it harden would be less painful... and cheaper!

Both methods have the same effect though, that's the kicker ;-)

mo' power February 27, 2007 09:59 AM

The thing is, I'm using my old SP1 disk. It's a pain in the butt when I reformat or install new HD. I've tried slipstreaming SP2 but no go. You can't repair a SP2 install with a SP1 disc. My rig is set up fine for now, (except for 1 more gig of ram, my other video card and my sound card) If I was on Dial-up, I surely would have killed myself by now. I might as well wait a while longer and purchase Vista.

Deathspawner February 27, 2007 10:30 AM

To make re-installs easier, you could order the upgrade CD here. It essentially upgrades to SP2 the same as Windows Update does. The downside is that it would be $10 shipping and also that it probably is not as up to date as Windows Update is now.