Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 21, 2011, 05:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default Remote for desktop ?

Hi,

My gf wants to have a remote in order to be able to watch videos from further (play, pause, next, shut the computer, etc.) She'd also like to have a way to shut her monitor.

Her box(V351) does not have any IR receiver and her monitor(VW266H) did not come with a remote

I think this would work NCIX.com - Buy Mediagate Windows 7 / Vista MCE One Channel IR Remote Control for Home Premium & Ultimate Black - Mediasonic - MG-IR01BK - in Canada but I am unsure if it would really work, if it is the best option and even what the different is between that one and the dual channel version of it.

Any further ideas or information ?

I know another option would be to get a wireless mouse and to do things from a little further, but I dunno.

She might also be interested in watching tv on her desktop, but that is not decided yet.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:34 AM
F@H

My System Specs

The monitor part is going to be rather difficult, though you can set in windows settings after a certain while to have your computer tell your monitor there is no single, therefore sending it into standby (almost off mode). If she's going to watch a lot of TV/Movies (doesn't work quite as well with the prior mentioned unless you do some extra tweaks) is to install XBMC on it, then she could use her phone (provided its a smart phone) to act like a remote as they have an app for it (free for android, i think a buck or two for iphone, not sure about Windows mobile).
Old May 21, 2011, 08:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Ya, I figured as much for the monitor, but already managing the computer is a good start. The phone idea is a good one, but it wouldn't work in this case.
Old May 21, 2011, 08:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Its what I do for my own monitors as using triple monitors and the monitors I have the buttons are sometimes are to get at, so I have my screen saver set to go black screens at 10 mins, then 'turn the monitors off' at 15 mins of being idle.

Does she just want to essentially use windows from a distance then?

Using VLC to play videos?
VLC remote and android (example if its just for a media player)
https://market.android.com/details?i...=search_result
Old May 21, 2011, 08:55 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

That's potentially good for me, but she's a big fan on Winamp...

Yes she pretty much wants to use her computer from distance and her use would mostly be to watch videos... Would the remote I linked in the 1st post do what I want ?
Old May 21, 2011, 09:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

It should work, and at least for android they have an app for winamp as well. I'm just looking for the cheaper solution for ya (as most people have smart phones and its one less remote/accessory to worry about)
Old May 21, 2011, 09:10 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Sorry for my lack of knowledge, but since I'm still using my stone age cell phone, how does the smart phone communicate with the computer ? wifi ? bluetooth ?
Old May 21, 2011, 09:15 AM
F@H

My System Specs

For my own network I have it set up to connect to/control my XBMC HTPC over wireless, however you could easily do it over bluetooth as well
Old May 21, 2011, 09:17 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Will have to look into that, as it looks quite cool I must say... Maybe its time to get a modern age cell phone.
Old May 22, 2011, 09:59 PM
MVP

My System Specs

get a gyration remote if you can find one. it will be able to do all that you need it with the exception of turn off the monitor unless that monitor has a tv remote frequency(turn my tv off with it all the time).