Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 2, 2011, 05:22 PM
Rookie
F@H

Default htpc server questions

hello everyone, i currently have a htpc server with 5tb running right now but is getting filled up, eventually i can buy another hdd but that would be it for that case. so im thinking of building a rackmount server so i can network drive hdds for more space. I was looking at a Norco 4224, yea that's 24 drive slots. now im not all that great with server equipment, the system specs are:

amd phenom 4x 955t
8gb ddr 3
cheaper motherboard (haven't decided)
Highpoint Rocketraid 3560 <-- this is the question
2tb wd green hard drives

the raid controller is the question here, the case uses sas connectors (not the split to 4 connectors, 1 to 1) because the backplanes for the harddrives are that. the drives are sata2, id like to raid 6 them, The controller is expensive $950 after taxes etc but is cheaper then other 24 drive controllers. Are there cheaper solutions for this case or recommendations?

also im thinking i can start with a few drives and slowly increase as needed and adding to the raid array, i think i can do that on the fly without recreating the raid (again not sure with server equipment)

once i start building it ill take some pics and share
Old May 8, 2011, 12:32 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I am also interested in knowing this. That one you have linked is ridiculously expensive but I guess everything costs something for a reason, haha.
Old May 24, 2011, 01:53 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Save yourself $600 bucks,
NCIX.com - Buy Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 Marvell 6480 8 Channel SAS/SATA RAID PCI-E Card - SuperMicro - AOC-SASLP-MV8 - in Canada
Get 3 of them and you can connect 24 drives easily. Also why not look at unraid for a raid solution? I plan on using it with my 20 drive server I have in the works and am doing a mix of hitachi 2TB and green 2TB (unraid seems to be better then normal raid when it comes to green drives as well, just look at all the complaints of normal raid and green drives be it them spinning down whilst the unraid system keeps them running all the time if you set it to)
Don't forget to price match, you can get that card for under $100 if you price match I believe.