Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 27, 2008, 04:36 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default Pc to non-hd Tv

I have an Ati 650 pro tv tuner and would like to hook it up to my TV thru my video card( XFX 8800gt) to use the computer as a PVR and play DVD using my computer. I don't have an HD tv, just an older Toshiba 43" projection tv. What is the easiest way to go about this? I have tried the supplied dongle for composite in to my tv but I can't get the desktop to show, just half the desktop picture when forced to display with 480i sdtv. No icons or active mouse, just the desktop picture. I was hoping top use the composite cables as they are the only inputs open on my TV but I don't think that is going to work? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

P.S- Using vista home premium... and windows media center.
Old January 27, 2008, 05:39 AM
MVP

My System Specs

try having a look in display properties when your tv is hooked up. go to the settings tab. there should be 2 monitors that you can click on, one will be your tv and the other is your pc monitor. if you want your icons and stuff on the tv then you have to click 'make this my primary display'. click 'identify' and a big 1 and 2 will appear on your tv and monitor. you can drag the monitor icons in your display properties panels to match their relative positions. then you can drag your mouse/folders/windows/programs etc off the side of one screen, onto the other screen. you can also choose their resolutions independently from here etc.

heres a picture of the panel...

Old January 27, 2008, 10:02 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You could also go into the NVIDIA control panel, Setup Multiple Displays, and choose Clone instead of DualView. Then you'd have the same picture on your monitor and TV.
Old January 27, 2008, 11:25 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

O.k. I got it... it makes sense now, I was wondering why it was just showing the background, I never thought that the computer assumed they were side by side in dual view mode... The only problem is that I can't see the tv from my computer! I guess a wireless mouse would come in handy to move things around on the tv. Clone would work but I would have to change the resolution when watching TV via the computer as my TV only goes up to 800x600 and my monitor is 1280x1024.

Would a newer TV be able to display 1280x1024 or is this always going to be a problem even with a new HD TV?
Old January 27, 2008, 11:52 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
You could also go into the NVIDIA control panel, Setup Multiple Displays, and choose Clone instead of DualView. Then you'd have the same picture on your monitor and TV.
Clone only seems to work when I use s-video, dual-view will work with composite but not clone, the screen just goes fuzzy when I set it to clone when using composite, but works fine with s-video...
Old January 27, 2008, 12:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It's better to use S-Video anyways, should give you better picture than composite.

HDTVs do not run 1280x1024 natively. They can do 720p (1280x720) and 1080p (1920x1080). You could run 1280x1024 though, but you'd be wasting valuable screen space.

Oh, if you just running Media Center on the TV, then Dualview is probably the best option. Just drag the Media Center window over to the TV and full screen it.
Old January 27, 2008, 01:04 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdrom17 View Post
It's better to use S-Video anyways, should give you better picture than composite.

HDTVs do not run 1280x1024 natively. They can do 720p (1280x720) and 1080p (1920x1080). You could run 1280x1024 though, but you'd be wasting valuable screen space.

Oh, if you just running Media Center on the TV, then Dualview is probably the best option. Just drag the Media Center window over to the TV and full screen it.
Ya I have pretty much come to the same conclusion, not really what I had in mind when starting out to set my PC up as a PVR but I will have to work around the limitations with my setup right now... I can't see the tv when sitting at my pc so when I move the Media center on to the Tv I can't see what I am doing and when it's in full screen the mouse is trapped on the tv... is there anyway to unlock the mouse in fullscreen, I have not messed around with dual view at all so this is all new to me, thanks for all the advice and quick replies!
Old January 27, 2008, 04:02 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Hmm, didn't know that it locked the cursor to that screen. Not sure what to do then.
Old January 27, 2008, 04:18 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

It was interesting to get the mouse back by my wife relaying the position of the mouse to get it on to the minmize button... left, down, right, up a little, no down, back left...as soon as i minimized windows media it could scoll the mouse back to the monitor, will have to use clone and change the resolution when I want to use the pc as a pvr and watch tv on the big screen via s-video I guess. Now I know why people use a dedicated pc for home theater... hmmm.
Old January 27, 2008, 06:58 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mecher View Post
It was interesting to get the mouse back by my wife relaying the position of the mouse to get it on to the minmize button... left, down, right, up a little, no down, back left...as soon as i minimized windows media it could scoll the mouse back to the monitor, will have to use clone and change the resolution when I want to use the pc as a pvr and watch tv on the big screen via s-video I guess. Now I know why people use a dedicated pc for home theater... hmmm.
Exactly. I got a separate computer for the TV, though mine is a 1080p HDTV. Even when I had a SDTV I still had a separate computer for the most part (P3 450MHz!).

Another option would be to get some form of Windows Media Center Extender (if you have a XBOX360 you can use that), though you'd probably be better off building a separate computer for it.