Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   HTPC and Starchoice HD (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/42655-htpc-starchoice-hd.html)

Wi-Fuzzy April 19, 2011 12:36 PM

HTPC and Starchoice HD

I have not read much about this lately. Is there now a way to record TV shows from a Starchoice HD reciever? I looked into this a year or so ago and the answer was no.

SugarJ April 19, 2011 12:47 PM

It depends if the receiver requires a HDCP compliant device. Hauppage just released the Colussus with HDMI input, but if your receiver requires a HDCP monitor, it won't work.

Review here: Hauppauge Colossus: HD PVR with HDMI Support - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Wi-Fuzzy April 19, 2011 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SugarJ (Post 507609)
It depends if the receiver requires a HDCP compliant device. Hauppage just released the Colussus with HDMI input, but if your receiver requires a HDCP monitor, it won't work.

Review here: Hauppauge Colossus: HD PVR with HDMI Support - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News

Ya..I read it before. My reciever is about 1 1/2 years old, can't remember the model #. It does have a dvi out...but I think that is useless in this case.

edit: could I just get an adapter and convert the DVI to HDMI? That would not have HDCP....?

lowfat April 19, 2011 02:08 PM

I've been recording Shaw Direct/Starchoice high def for nearly three years now w/ an Hauppauge HD PVR. At first i used BeyondTV but switched to SageTV 7 around Christmas. BeyondTV was crap as was the older SageTV. Both had horrible hd PVR support. SageTV 7 is much better though. I've only had one screwed up recording this year versus 5-6 per week.

There is no need to use hdmi. It offers nothing over component and spdif besides a smaller cable.

Wi-Fuzzy April 19, 2011 02:52 PM

Every year I think about that doing this. And every year I just keep downloading them. It's Just as fast and the picture quality seems to be better. I guess the geek in me wants to make it work.

SugarJ April 19, 2011 03:39 PM

If you don't have bandwidth issues, that's the easiest fix.

lowfat April 19, 2011 03:41 PM

Downloaded media is definitely not higher quality. If is highly compressed. An hour of recorded tv for me is around 10 Mbit/s while downloaded rips are around 5. Quality definitely isnt twice as good but it definitely is better.

enaberif April 19, 2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 507647)
I've been recording Shaw Direct/Starchoice high def for nearly three years now w/ an Hauppauge HD PVR. At first i used BeyondTV but switched to SageTV 7 around Christmas. BeyondTV was crap as was the older SageTV. Both had horrible hd PVR support. SageTV 7 is much better though. I've only had one screwed up recording this year versus 5-6 per week.

There is no need to use hdmi. It offers nothing over component and spdif besides a smaller cable.

Are you hooking up the cable box to the tuner?

lowfat April 19, 2011 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 507670)
Are you hooking up the cable box to the tuner?

Hd PVR is just a capture card. But yes. Receiver is connected to Hauppauge HD PVR via component and SPDIF. SageTV automatically chances channels via ir blaster on HD PVR.

Supergrover April 19, 2011 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 507647)

You must be using Shawsbox to the hd-pvr correct?

If so then I imagine you are limited to recording and watching one channel at a time correct?

Been wondering since I use a shaw pvrbox for my HD downstairs but for the life of me have never got it to connect to my network. I hardly ever watch anything downstairs so it doesnt get used much. And I have been looking for a solution that would allow me to watch record multiple channels at the sametime across the network at the sametime.

Sorry to the OP for derailing the topic.:ph34r: