Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 19, 2011, 04:07 PM

My System Specs

Yes I can only record one show at a time. Although sagetv is able to handle multiple hd pvrs. If you wanted to record two shows at once you would not just need to have two receivers with a haupaugge hd PVR connected to each. Each hs PVR connected to the same pc running sagetv.
Old April 19, 2011, 04:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Yes I can only record one show at a time. Although sagetv is able to handle multiple hd pvrs. If you wanted to record two shows at once you would not just need to have two receivers with a haupaugge hd PVR connected to each. Each hs PVR connected to the same pc running sagetv.
Thats what I thought, thanks lowfat.

I do have 2x the non pvr HD-boxes hooked to other tv's around the house but TBH I just was looking for a simple solution to record two shows at once while watching what ever on any tv in the house.

Its those damn set top boxes that throw a monkey wrench in everything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old April 19, 2011, 04:29 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Downloaded media is definitely not higher quality. If is highly compressed. An hour of recorded tv for me is around 10 Mbit/s while downloaded rips are around 5. Quality definitely isnt twice as good but it definitely is better.
I guess the best way to put this is. It does not matter if it's 100Mbit bit rate, it's the quality you start with that counts. The shows I download look the same or better than the show I can watch on my starchoice hd reciever on a 46" Panasonic plasma tv. Where ever they are getting the shows from...the original image quality is better IMHO. Just because Starchioce tells you it is HD, does not mean that it is the best picture quality available. it just means it is HD and it is the best picture quality they are willing to give you....remember, they have bandwidth limitations also. Anyway. I gather it is doable now. I might mess around with it. Saddly, the only thing it will probably get used for is to record my wifes soap operas...
Also for me it has to work in MC. If it does not I will not even start. After 2 years of tweeking MC and just the right plugins, I will never go back to SageTV or any other program. Again...just my humble opinion. And to be fair to the other software companies...my wife and kids like the setup I have and would kill me if I changed it.
So I guess the next question is...can it be done in MC or do I have to use third party software? I should have mentioned that in my original post. But I did get in an unexpected free rant about Starchoice. I have no problem with their actual programming. The fact that I have had to buy 3 recievers now because they all died about one month after the warranty is up....now that's a whole other topic completely.
Old April 19, 2011, 04:58 PM

My System Specs

Mce doesn't support capture cards. So you'd have to some third party plugin. Which likely sucks.
Old April 19, 2011, 05:08 PM
MVP

Quote:
Mce doesn't support capture cards. So you'd have to some third party plugin. Which likely sucks.
Not to mention MCE will respect any orders from media companies to not record shows if they are flagged (this could happen in the future in Canada and has happened in the US). I hope to get BTV up and recording SD and use SageTV to record the HD via HDPVR.

It is going to be real interesting to try getting my old setup going in NZ.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy
Old April 19, 2011, 05:48 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Like Sagetv?

J/K. I have tried them all. Can't speak for the linux versions. For recording TV Sage might be better. But that is where it ends. For media playback and ease of use...MCE has them hands down. I just timed it...from desk top to playing any show my daughter could name in 22 seconds. And I mean playing...not loading. And none of the media is in my HTPC. I know I sound like a M$ lover...I'm the opposite. But every once and a while even they get lucky. And there are alot of really good plugins that actually work.
Anyway ....SageTV does have it's place. I'm sure it is better for recording TV. My setup is more about storage (WHS with 20 tb of storage) and media playback the HTPC. All work well and get nothing but ewws and ahhs from all my friends. It looks great and works every time...no problems ever.

edit: Sorry about being kinda snarky about this topic. I have spent alot of time getting everything "just so" Regestry tweaks, plug ins and changing some of how MC works. Spent 2 years playing with it. My only real problem to solve is bluray playback...need to integrate it a little better.

Last edited by Wi-Fuzzy; April 19, 2011 at 06:57 PM.
Old April 19, 2011, 08:47 PM
MVP

Been using BTV and BTV Link for 5yrs...although setup was...install, setup channels, choose tuners, check IR blasters...essentially it was done and ready to be used. However I wanted to play a little with a third party program that scans each recording, detects commercials, then cuts the commercials out, then does compression using Xvid (to whatever % to the size of the original recording was initially), alsoI didn't care for the built in Divx compression (Xvid just seems to be slightly better to me...some may not agree).

22 secs...sorry you have to wait so long

BTV loads and plays, much faster then that. Not to mention the FireFly (UHF) remote, where the buttons can be setup to start things up, window or maximize, grab focus of BTV when needed with a touch of a button. Generally the computer isn't turned off for months and the only reason it ever gets rebooted or turned off is me messing around on the net or checking out software. Some guys haven't turned their BTV computers off for 2 maybe 3 yrs.

BTV is just so simple to use, with XBMC as a secondary program to watch other video media,which also only takes a matter of seconds to start up.

The setup has the biggest approval you can get...the WAF = Wife Approval Factor is 100%

MCE is good....and I may play with it later, but my wife likes how easy BTV and XBMC works. Click this button for TV..this one for XBMC. There are only 1 to 2 layers of menu options in BTV, which she likes cause she doesn't get lost trying to watch a recording, schedule a recording, or just watch live TV.

They say you can tell how rich a man's life has been, by how many dogs he has had in it.

Old April 19, 2011, 09:22 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Just out of curiousity lionred...how many TV shows and movies are in your collection?

Like I said. There probably are other programs that are better...or easier..or both for recording TV shows. At the moment I don't bother recording them. My setup is mostly designed to give the best overall movie HTPC experience. And in that area, I'm sorry but Sage and BTV just don't compare. Don't get me wrong...they do the job just fine. They play all the same stuff in the same way. Just the interface is just soooo much more proffessional looking with the setup I ended up with.
I guess it just boils down to what you use it for. The TV capture part of it I will concede that Sage and BTV probably are better. In the flash and bling dept though....they are lacking. For my needs, I needed functional and good looking. And to make the point about a polished look....nice dolphins......you gonna watch flipper?

edit: I just checked and XBMC skins have improved. They are getting better...just no quite there yet. But that is much better than a last time I tried it out. As long as they don't still have that (I'm on a web site) feel....ya know...the cute flash rollover buttons.
BTW...just having some fun. Not trying to p*** anyone off

Last edited by Wi-Fuzzy; April 19, 2011 at 10:00 PM.
Old April 19, 2011, 11:16 PM
MVP

I agree...I may be looking into MCE eventually myself. I have about 500-600 movies...numerous TV Series as well.

Old April 20, 2011, 06:35 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionRed View Post
I agree...I may be looking into MCE eventually myself. I have about 500-600 movies...numerous TV Series as well.
Agree...AGREE....what do you mean you agree!?....How the hell am I supposed to argue with you now?

J/K