Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   HTPC Software/Codecs (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/4228-htpc-software-codecs.html)

Thunderbirt January 23, 2008 08:59 AM

HTPC Software/Codecs

Greetings to all!

I wanted to know what would be the common software/codecs to have for an HTPC? Any recommendations?

I will be running Vista Home Premium on my HTPC. Just started looking into HTPCs and wanted to make sure I am able to view the most movies (no matter the format) as possible.

Example, would the software that comes with the video card be good enough to output a Blu-Ray, HD-DVD or DVD on to an HDTV?

Here is what I am considering on getting in a few months:

Case: Thermaltake VB8000BNS Bach

Components:

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3R
CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 (1.8GHz)
RAM: OCZ 2GB PC2-8500 PLAT DUAL XTC EPP
Main HDD: WD 160GB - 7200rpm (SATA)
Media HDD: WD 1TB (SATA)
Optical Drive: LG GGC-H20L (Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, DVD)
Video: HIS Radeon HD 2600 XT iSilence III Video Card 512MB DDR3
Sound: Auzentech X-FI Prelude 7.1
Power: THERMALTAKE 600W W0129RU
CPU Fan: Zalman CNPS9700 LED

Thanks!

enaberif January 23, 2008 10:06 AM

There are none really.

Most common codecs is simply divx/xvid and dvd playback.

Gav January 23, 2008 10:14 AM

Vista Home Premium should come with the Codec installed already so you can watch TV and DVD's.

The only other thing you may want to install is FFDshow for all your "other" content.:ph34r:

Thunderbirt January 23, 2008 10:33 AM

Perfect!

Thanks a lot for the quick reply!

Synth January 23, 2008 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gav (Post 36398)
Vista Home Premium should come with the Codec installed already so you can watch TV and DVD's.

The only other thing you may want to install is FFDshow for all your "other" content.:ph34r:

Careful with FFDshow though, the post-processing functions can bring your system to its knees.

Also, I usually install Koepi's XVID codec, for MPEG4 (DVD).

JD January 23, 2008 02:07 PM

For playing back HD-DVDs and Blurays you should look into getting PowerDVD 7 Ultra.

For everything else, maybe try the K-Lite Codec Pack

Squeetard January 23, 2008 03:16 PM

I use ffdshow and Zoomplayer to play all my movies (mostly 720p .h264 codec, HD and Blu Ray rips).

lcdguy January 24, 2008 05:46 AM

i used to use Klite but since i found the CCCP codec pack (CCCP = Combined Community Codec Pack) and i have no trouble playing all of my avi's, mkv's etc. For dvd playback and spdif pass through to my receiver i use the bronze edition of the nvidia codec.

werty316 January 24, 2008 07:03 AM

Vista should have everything you need so you shouldn't have to worry about downloading anything.

If you need codecs for downloaded content I recommend CCCP over the K-Lite codec pack as it has more essential codecs that are needed instead of over a dozen which are really needed at all. Other than that ffdshow works like a charm.

Thunderbirt January 24, 2008 05:29 PM

I knew about Dvix (as a common popular one) but I never though that there would be a TON of codecs.

Thanks again to everyone for the advice. I will have more reading and fun setting up my HTPC!