Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old April 3, 2011, 07:07 AM
Allstar
F@H

Default Losing sound at high resolution huh?

My dad has an a/v receiver with multiple HDMI connections. The receiver has speakers plugged into it and the output leads to the 50" plasma tv @ 1920x1080.

When I connect my laptop (1366x768) with HDMI to the receiver, by default the resolution on the TV goes to 1280x720. If I keep it at that or change it to 1366x768 I have sound, but as soon as it changes, image stays and sound stops working. I want to eventually be able to play movies at 1080p on the TV.

It used to work fine when I would connect the laptop straight to the TV, but now that it goes through the receiver, problems have started to appear. Any ideas?

Also on another subject, with the receiver now, we cannot get any subtitles from any device other than dvds and blu-rays. No more subtitles from Bell satellite connected with the good old red, white and yellow cables. Anyone encountered this before?

Edit : gr@mm@r?

Last edited by ADay2Long; April 3, 2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old April 3, 2011, 10:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Try connecting all your video sources (pc, laptop, cable tv or satellite) to the hdmi ports on the tv. Then use the optical out (audio) on the tv to the optical in on the receiver. You'll need to switch hdmi sources with the tv remote but the audio signals should switch automatically depending on which hdmi video source you are using. This is how I have mine set up.
Red, white ( LR audio) and yellow (video) cables are pretty much obsolete. I hope this helps.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old April 4, 2011, 03:40 PM
Allstar
F@H

Yeah I know plugging everything in the TV will work, but the idea is to only have 2 cables come from the TV, 1 HDMI and the power cable.

I plugged in my personal computer to the same HDMI cable without changing any settings, by default the TV's resolution went to 1280x720, but when I changed it to 1920x1080, everything worked like I expected them too.

I am at a loss here, mind you not a big deal as a similar computer will be used and not my laptop. Mostly curious as to why it happened in the first place. But thx for the help mo!