Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 28, 2011, 09:24 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Default mkv format help !

Hey all,

Need some info on mkv format, first of all, what is the best way to burn the mkv file to a dvd? Do I need to encode to a different file format first, or can I burn it right to the dvd?

Also, are the free encoders pretty good or is it worth purchasing a good encoding program? Need suggestions for that as well, want to start building a digital media library. Is it a two step process meaning ripping dvd then encoding the ripped file? or Will a program do both at the same time? I really need some clarification on this. Thanks a lot guys, Cheers
Old March 28, 2011, 10:44 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

convertxtodvd works great for converting mkv's to dvd's, (for playback in a standard dvd player) (i think this is not free anymore)

HandBrake is awesome for converting dvd's and other formats into MKV, it will rip and convert directly from dvd (free software)

i recommend playing mkv's without encoding, play them back directly with either a PC, or set top box like WDTV

cccp codec pack is good, if your hardware is a little older you may need something like CoreAVC for smooth playback
Old March 29, 2011, 09:39 AM
Hardware Canucks Reviewer

I cant get mkv to play with wdtv. I have to convert them to avi or similar.
Old March 29, 2011, 09:52 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mook06 View Post
convertxtodvd works great for converting mkv's to dvd's, (for playback in a standard dvd player) (i think this is not free anymore)

HandBrake is awesome for converting dvd's and other formats into MKV, it will rip and convert directly from dvd (free software)

i recommend playing mkv's without encoding, play them back directly with either a PC, or set top box like WDTV

cccp codec pack is good, if your hardware is a little older you may need something like CoreAVC for smooth playback
I use a free converter like DeVeDe to convert vids to DVD.
as for the .mkv's like everyone else has said I also convert them into a different formate because my media player doesn't play them. there are allot of free video converters out thereI use a couple of different ones like format factory if I have a few avi files to be added to each other and I use super which is good at converting different video formats but the thing about super is to find the dam download link lol.
Old March 29, 2011, 10:39 AM
Banned
F@H

best thing to do would leave it in the original packaging,i.e. dont touch it, and play it with something that can read it, like your puter,lappy,and so on.

sometimes when converting funny stuff can happen, and you dont want to watch a movie till the end and find out then ;)
Old March 29, 2011, 10:47 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

You might want to try a new, free tool I found while trying to find a replacement for my aging (but extremely good at the time) AllToAvi tool. It's called "Freemake". Works very, very well thus far and is very easy to use. Add your video file, pick a preset and go. Simple as that.
Old March 29, 2011, 11:46 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eldonko View Post
I cant get mkv to play with wdtv. I have to convert them to avi or similar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
I use a free converter like DeVeDe to convert vids to DVD.
as for the .mkv's like everyone else has said I also convert them into a different formate because my media player doesn't play them. there are allot of free video converters out thereI use a couple of different ones like format factory if I have a few avi files to be added to each other and I use super which is good at converting different video formats but the thing about super is to find the dam download link lol.
I don't know what you are using Shadowmeph, but the wdtv should play mkv files.
I also used the patriot box office and everything was smooth. Now I am using a htpc so it is different.

OP, if you are thinking about building a little digital collection, I would stongly recommand to not convert everything to dvd and or burining all that. You should consider streaming solutions.
Old March 29, 2011, 12:13 PM
Top Prospect

Depends on the model, the TV mini does not play MKV

List of compatible media file types for all WD TV HD Media Players or the WD Elements Play
Old March 29, 2011, 07:50 PM
Top Prospect
F@H

My System Specs

Thanks for all the replies fellas. I will mostly be storing it all digitally, once I get some of my blu-rays ripped, then I will think about a htpc or atleast some sort of file server/NAS. But it wont be very often I will be burning dvd's, just so happens that this time it is required under the current circumstances.

I would like to get a media player or htpc, but currently do not have one and need to resort to a dvd currently.

Will be asking more about the players and such once I have actually got one or put something together, not sure when that will happen yet, slow process as of now.
Old March 29, 2011, 09:08 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLg View Post
I don't know what you are using Shadowmeph, but the wdtv should play mkv files.
I also used the patriot box office and everything was smooth. Now I am using a htpc so it is different.

OP, if you are thinking about building a little digital collection, I would stongly recommand to not convert everything to dvd and or burining all that. You should consider streaming solutions.
I should actually correct what I said it does play them but the volume is very low on allot of the mkv files and when you go to the next file and forget to turn the volume down the ear drums can get punished a bit hehe