Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   help me choose a cooler for htpc build (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/42010-help-me-choose-cooler-htpc-build.html)

cmge March 27, 2011 12:23 AM

help me choose a cooler for htpc build

im building a mini itx htpc for a colleague with the following specs

mobo: GF9300-G-E
cpu: e8400
case: antec isk 300-150
slim optical drive
2gb ram

what would be the best heatsink for the e8400 with the given case and mobo... ive read that the xigmatek d982 fits without mods and the big shuriken fits with some modification (cutting the hdd tray or something).. and the arctic freezer 11 LP peaked my interest... the main use for the htpc to play videos and slight gaming (ROMS mostly)

any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated...

thanks

kingnubian March 27, 2011 10:01 AM

I am using a Scythe Big Shuriken in my HTPC (E5200 @3Ghz) and am 100% happy with it. It's super quiet with the included fan and from the printed specs is only 58mm high with the fan installed.

Scythe"BIG SHURIKEN" 3Heat Pipes CPU Cooler

cmge March 27, 2011 11:33 AM

my concern is if it will fit properly in my case without any problems

Quote:

Originally Posted by kingnubian (Post 500082)
I am using a Scythe Big Shuriken in my HTPC (E5200 @3Ghz) and am 100% happy with it. It's super quiet with the included fan and from the printed specs is only 58mm high with the fan installed.

Scythe"BIG SHURIKEN" 3Heat Pipes CPU Cooler

dma0991 March 27, 2011 12:01 PM

Will the stock cooler fit without modification?

ilya March 27, 2011 01:05 PM

You need to remove the fan to fit a full size stock cooler. If the OP has a low profile stock cooler kicking around, one of those would work, but 775 ones don't seem to be very common.

If not, there isn't much choice due to CPU socket location on that board. The Big Shuriken may be too big, it may interfere with the RAM slots and northbridge on your board.

As much as I hate SilenX, there isn't much you can choose from: Silenx Effizio Low Profile CPU Heatsink Cooler 100MM Heatpipe Direct Touch LGA1366 LGA1156 1155 AM3 - DirectCanada

Be warned though, it may be too tall with the fan, you might have to run it passive. The good thing is on your board the CPU socket will be right next to the 80mm fan ports on your case. Just buy 2 good 80mm fans if it's too tall.

cmge March 27, 2011 02:13 PM

the stock cooler fits no prob

Quote:

Originally Posted by dma0991 (Post 500107)
Will the stock cooler fit without modification?

dma0991 March 27, 2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmge (Post 500142)
the stock cooler fits no prob

Since this is not an overclocking benchmarking rig and is a HTPC you might just as well make do with the stock cooler. The stock cooler should be able to keep your temps at a reasonable level unless you worry more about the noise.

cmge April 19, 2011 09:59 AM

update - i ended up getting the scythe big shuriken.. now its just a matter of time for me to get it all setup...

thanks for the suggestions