Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 17, 2011, 04:27 PM
Top Prospect

Default Looking for a capture card, not sure what options I have...

Hey guys,

I've been looking around at capture cards for my computer, but I'm uncertain of where to start since there are so many features that I don't understand.

So I need one that:

1. Records in MP4(Important) or FLV
2. Scheduled Recording, but even more than scheduled recording... is there any capture card out there that has smart recording? ie. It will start recording right when the show actually starts.
3. Budget, I would say sub-$200 I guess. Trying to see a variety of options available.

Not sure what else to add. PCI or USB is alright.

If anyone has an idea of where I should look, let me know!

Thanks
Old March 20, 2011, 08:28 PM
Rookie

What are your source connections or I mean what are you trying to capture from?
Old March 21, 2011, 11:51 AM
Top Prospect

I believe it's from some kind of Set top box, using either RCA or Coaxial.
Old March 21, 2011, 12:21 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOnTurtle View Post
I believe it's from some kind of Set top box, using either RCA or Coaxial.
Most companies providing TV do not allow capture with a card.
Old March 21, 2011, 06:20 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by enaberif View Post
Most companies providing TV do not allow capture with a card.
Does that mean it's impossible or illegal?
Old March 22, 2011, 08:28 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

Not a lot you can do to block a screen from being captured.. Illegal is the premise I think he means.
Old March 22, 2011, 08:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJThomp View Post
Does that mean it's impossible or illegal?
Most TV these days is delivered via a set top box in a digital format. Capture cards (unless they're sold/rented by the provider) do not have the ability to decode the signal, and thus would be limited to whatever output the box is set to (channel would have to be set on the box, and would have to be left on for recording). In my case.... analog cable of the lower channels still comes through the lines so I'd be able to record those, but AFAIK 2011 is the end date for analog signals.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 22, 2011, 04:01 PM
Top Prospect

Well, I'm pretty sure we won't be using it for anything illegal. (afaik)

I'm not using it, my friend wants to use it, but he's looking for something that (the main reason for the thread), that records in .MP4 or .FLV.

I currently have the Hauppauge HD-PVR, and I believe it records in .MP4, but I was wondering what other options there were for this format. (Afterwards he would look at what connections, I just figured stating RCA and Coaxial were the most common sorts)
Old March 22, 2011, 04:04 PM
Hall Of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GameOnTurtle View Post
Well, I'm pretty sure we won't be using it for anything illegal. (afaik)

I'm not using it, my friend wants to use it, but he's looking for something that (the main reason for the thread), that records in .MP4 or .FLV.

I currently have the Hauppauge HD-PVR, and I believe it records in .MP4, but I was wondering what other options there were for this format. (Afterwards he would look at what connections, I just figured stating RCA and Coaxial were the most common sorts)
Its impossible to do as stated above unless you get ANALOG signals.
Old March 22, 2011, 04:15 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
Most TV these days is delivered via a set top box in a digital format. Capture cards (unless they're sold/rented by the provider) do not have the ability to decode the signal, and thus would be limited to whatever output the box is set to (channel would have to be set on the box, and would have to be left on for recording). In my case.... analog cable of the lower channels still comes through the lines so I'd be able to record those, but AFAIK 2011 is the end date for analog signals.
I have digital HDTV with a settop PVR, I run a coaxial splitter before the set top box , one line goes to the set top, one line goes to my analog tuner in my HTPC, I can record via the tunercard as you stated the lower (basic cable package) channels or record via the HDPVR the "higher" HD/SD channels via the set top. I also have one coaxial line direct to my TV's coaxial input (HDPVR is hooked up via HDMI) and the final split coaxial line to my stereo receiver ( for FM ).

We had this discussion a few times before and I never could get a set in stone answer but IIRC 2011 is the end of over the air analog signals, so in other words my analog TV tuner should continue to work, but again until this actually happens I am unsure since I have been given conflicting advice. Some ppl say yes it is just the over the air signals other say no it is all analog signals and my TV tuner (in my HTPC) wont work.

Edit: BTW I am on Shaw just FYI.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton