Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   Looking for a capture card, not sure what options I have... (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/41709-looking-capture-card-not-sure-what-options-i-have.html)

GameOnTurtle March 17, 2011 04:27 PM

Looking for a capture card, not sure what options I have...

Hey guys,

I've been looking around at capture cards for my computer, but I'm uncertain of where to start since there are so many features that I don't understand.

So I need one that:

1. Records in MP4(Important) or FLV
2. Scheduled Recording, but even more than scheduled recording... is there any capture card out there that has smart recording? ie. It will start recording right when the show actually starts.
3. Budget, I would say sub-$200 I guess. Trying to see a variety of options available.

Not sure what else to add. PCI or USB is alright.

If anyone has an idea of where I should look, let me know!

Thanks

blitz March 20, 2011 08:28 PM

What are your source connections or I mean what are you trying to capture from?

GameOnTurtle March 21, 2011 11:51 AM

I believe it's from some kind of Set top box, using either RCA or Coaxial.

enaberif March 21, 2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GameOnTurtle (Post 497872)
I believe it's from some kind of Set top box, using either RCA or Coaxial.

Most companies providing TV do not allow capture with a card.

JJThomp March 21, 2011 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enaberif (Post 497880)
Most companies providing TV do not allow capture with a card.

Does that mean it's impossible or illegal?

clone63 March 22, 2011 08:28 AM

Not a lot you can do to block a screen from being captured.. Illegal is the premise I think he means.

sswilson March 22, 2011 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JJThomp (Post 498081)
Does that mean it's impossible or illegal?

Most TV these days is delivered via a set top box in a digital format. Capture cards (unless they're sold/rented by the provider) do not have the ability to decode the signal, and thus would be limited to whatever output the box is set to (channel would have to be set on the box, and would have to be left on for recording). In my case.... analog cable of the lower channels still comes through the lines so I'd be able to record those, but AFAIK 2011 is the end date for analog signals.

GameOnTurtle March 22, 2011 04:01 PM

Well, I'm pretty sure we won't be using it for anything illegal. (afaik)

I'm not using it, my friend wants to use it, but he's looking for something that (the main reason for the thread), that records in .MP4 or .FLV.

I currently have the Hauppauge HD-PVR, and I believe it records in .MP4, but I was wondering what other options there were for this format. (Afterwards he would look at what connections, I just figured stating RCA and Coaxial were the most common sorts)

enaberif March 22, 2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GameOnTurtle (Post 498451)
Well, I'm pretty sure we won't be using it for anything illegal. (afaik)

I'm not using it, my friend wants to use it, but he's looking for something that (the main reason for the thread), that records in .MP4 or .FLV.

I currently have the Hauppauge HD-PVR, and I believe it records in .MP4, but I was wondering what other options there were for this format. (Afterwards he would look at what connections, I just figured stating RCA and Coaxial were the most common sorts)

Its impossible to do as stated above unless you get ANALOG signals.

Supergrover March 22, 2011 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sswilson (Post 498281)
Most TV these days is delivered via a set top box in a digital format. Capture cards (unless they're sold/rented by the provider) do not have the ability to decode the signal, and thus would be limited to whatever output the box is set to (channel would have to be set on the box, and would have to be left on for recording). In my case.... analog cable of the lower channels still comes through the lines so I'd be able to record those, but AFAIK 2011 is the end date for analog signals.

I have digital HDTV with a settop PVR, I run a coaxial splitter before the set top box , one line goes to the set top, one line goes to my analog tuner in my HTPC, I can record via the tunercard as you stated the lower (basic cable package) channels or record via the HDPVR the "higher" HD/SD channels via the set top. I also have one coaxial line direct to my TV's coaxial input (HDPVR is hooked up via HDMI) and the final split coaxial line to my stereo receiver ( for FM ).

We had this discussion a few times before and I never could get a set in stone answer but IIRC 2011 is the end of over the air analog signals, so in other words my analog TV tuner should continue to work, but again until this actually happens I am unsure since I have been given conflicting advice. Some ppl say yes it is just the over the air signals other say no it is all analog signals and my TV tuner (in my HTPC) wont work.

Edit: BTW I am on Shaw just FYI.