Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old March 22, 2011, 04:25 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
I have digital HDTV with a settop PVR, I run a coaxial splitter before the set top box , one line goes to the set top, one line goes to my analog tuner in my HTPC, I can record via the tunercard as you stated the lower (basic cable package) channels or record via the HDPVR the "higher" HD/SD channels via the set top. I also have one coaxial line direct to my TV's coaxial input (HDPVR is hooked up via HDMI) and the final split coaxial line to my stereo receiver ( for FM ).

We had this discussion a few times before and I never could get a set in stone answer but IIRC 2011 is the end of over the air analog signals, so in other words my analog TV tuner should continue to work, but again until this actually happens I am unsure since I have been given conflicting advice. Some ppl say yes it is just the over the air signals other say no it is all analog signals and my TV tuner (in my HTPC) wont work.

Edit: BTW I am on Shaw just FYI.
I'm by no means an expert on the topic, but I suspect the confusion over what will be available is based on where the signal comes from in the first place. The CRTC mandate is for over the air signals to be transmitted via a digital signal (most current TV tuners will be able to pick them up and decode them), and I don't believe it specifies how the providers "must" supply the signal to their customers over coax.

That said.... I know many Ontario cable subscribers on the Rogers network were losing their analog signal all together while I worked there (a little under a year ago) and I suspect that is the wave of the future.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 320G Seagate Momentus / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old March 22, 2011, 04:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
I'm by no means an expert on the topic, but I suspect the confusion over what will be available is based on where the signal comes from in the first place. The CRTC mandate is for over the air signals to be transmitted via a digital signal (most current TV tuners will be able to pick them up and decode them), and I don't believe it specifies how the providers "must" supply the signal to their customers over coax.

That said.... I know many Ontario cable subscribers on the Rogers network were losing their analog signal all together while I worked there (a little under a year ago) and I suspect that is the wave of the future.
This was my thought also, that come august I will lose the analog tuners capability, but again I have heard conflicting info so am unsure.

TBH I paid $13 for my tuner a couple of years ago and it has well paid for itself so if I lose it not a biggie as I clearly got my money worth out of it.

If it does go to digital but not needing a set top box ( being able to use say the TV built in digital tuner) I will be in the market for another, I dont care for recording via the PVR and TBH it doesn't play nice with my network while a capture care via the network works flawless.

But I am adopting a wait and see attitude until it changes over.

To the OP: Windows Media center is IMO the best for RECORDING tv shows, the search and record functions are simple and straight forward. You can set it to start a few mins ahead of the program or just as the program starts as you were asking. But it doesnt record in mp4

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton