Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 25, 2011, 09:31 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Windows MC remote questions

I have used remotes before with HTPC's, I have a thermal take DH101 with IMON (yeah I know) and have a Harmony remote with that too. Anyway I just got a Win MCE remote and IR receiver for another setup - well I got it a while ago and I'm just getting it out of the box. Anyway I see there is no software with it.... which has me somewhat confused. I don't see any manufacturer info anywhere but judging by the look of the box and remote it looks like 'official' M$ gear. Anyway am I expected to know where to go get the software? or did I just not receive it? Is there third party software?
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old February 25, 2011, 10:08 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Assuming you have Windows 7 Home Premium/Ultimate, or XP Media Center Edition, you don't need any software. It simply "works". Although obviously only with Media Center. You have no ability to program buttons and such.

I think there might be some 3rd party programs/drivers out there that can make MCE-compatible remotes programmable though.
Old February 26, 2011, 12:35 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yeah I have no intentions on actually using MCE, I use Mediaportal. IMON lets me assign different functions to the buttons depending on what the active application is. For example when I start to watch a movie - which launches TMT - my remote buttons are remapped automatically and I'd like the same functionality. Theres' probably a way around it but this makes setup pretty easy. I just wanted to make sure I got everything I was supposed to get. I'll have a look into third party software. Thanks.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
Old February 26, 2011, 03:10 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Well I use MediaPortal as well with a MCE remote. Assuming you have a Windows version that supports MCE, you'll be fine.

In MediaPortal you can map the buttons to whatever you choose.
Old February 26, 2011, 05:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Well I use MediaPortal as well with a MCE remote. Assuming you have a Windows version that supports MCE, you'll be fine.

In MediaPortal you can map the buttons to whatever you choose.
x2, it works perfectly for me in MP. Using Windows 7.
Old February 26, 2011, 08:05 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Yes I know, but I can't do that in TMT. On my current setup (with IMON) I've gotten everything working except I can't make the 'Exit' button on my remote shutdown TMT. The IMON software lets me remap all the buttons on a MCE remote, which my Harmony is emulating, except my exit button but thats' probably because an MCE remote doesn't have an exit button...

Gah! this is turning into a mess. Maybe I'll try taking out IMON and using an MCE remote straight up and see how TMT reacts with that. TMT was made to be a plugin to MCE so it would make sense that it was also designed to work with the MCE remote. There's got to be a way to exit TMT with the MCE remote. I've been doing a bit of googling and found lots of frustration and bitching so far but no solutions yet.
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)