Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2011, 08:34 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default Choppy play over network with HD *.mkv files

Hey guys, I just recently upgraded my main machine, and delegated my old comp to my living room computer. It's an E8400 on a P5N32E-SLI, with 8Gb ram(over-kill, I didn't have anything but 4gb sticks of DDR2 left), and an 8800GT 512mb.

Using this machine to run local content has been fine in the past and is again fine now, but when I stream over our giga network(dlink giga switch) any file that is 3Gb+ tends to lag out sooner or later. Usually anything over 4Gb just chops constantly.

I use CCCP(Combined Community Codec Pack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) for my basic codec install, and then I install coreAVC for it's ability to use GPU acceleration. I set the preferred codec in MPC's options and it shows that it's using core whenever I view files in MPC.

The "server" computer is my gaming rig currently. 2600K, 4gb ram, streaming from green drives, or black the chop/lag is the same. No-one is using the main rig at the time of streaming(not that it should make a difference, but it's a possibility).

I know the situation is less that ideal over-all, but what I do NOT get is that my alienware M11x, streaming over wireless G can stream the same content, without a hitch.

I'm not a codec guru, so what bothers me is that using the exact same install files and steps done to install, my laptop streams over wifi, better than my desktop does over gigabit lan.

I'm frustrated, and looking for suggestions. I've uninstalled(on both machines) and reinstalled everything side by side, only to have it behave the same. I would think that a mobile/low-power i7 shouldn't make THAT much of a difference over an E8400, but I have been wrong in the past.
Old February 15, 2011, 08:40 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

I personally think CCCP is a little overrated, so maybe try a different codec pack? I've been using Shark007's Windows 7 codec pack for quite a long time and I've never had any issues (used to run W7 Media center streaming .MKVs from my NAS without a problem).
Old February 15, 2011, 08:48 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMetaphor View Post
I personally think CCCP is a little overrated, so maybe try a different codec pack? I've been using Shark007's Windows 7 codec pack for quite a long time and I've never had any issues (used to run W7 Media center streaming .MKVs from my NAS without a problem).
I agreed moved to Sharks007 and havnt looked back, CCCp was my codec of choice up till then. How are you sharing your files? Homegroup?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old February 15, 2011, 08:53 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I havn't streamed any video as of yet but I will be soon. have you tried different codec pack like the Shark007.net - Windows 7 Codecs - WMP12 Codecs may be try thoses but make sure to follow the instructions if you are running x64 OS
Old February 15, 2011, 09:03 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hmm three recommendations for shark007, I think I'll have to give that a shot when I get home.
I just find it odd that the laptop runs everything just fine, where-as the desktop can't, with the same codec pack.
When I get home I'll give shark's pack a try as well.
Thanks
Old February 15, 2011, 09:06 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

hehe two people posted before I even finished typing out what I was going to say hehe I think I need more caffeine.
Old February 15, 2011, 09:10 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowmeph View Post
hehe two people posted before I even finished typing out what I was going to say hehe I think I need more caffeine.
Thats called being Ninja'd .

Good luck Inate8! Let us know how the Shark007 codecs work for you.

Re: the laptop vs desktop, which laptop is it? It's possible that if you're using a newer laptop the built-in windows drivers are taking care of the hardware acceleration, as opposed to your desktops 8800GT, which (if i remember correctly) has been considered a legacy product for a while and thus has no newer drivers?
Someone double check me on that, but IIRC its legacy now.
Old February 15, 2011, 09:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

The laptop is an alienware m11x, top end model: Alienware Landing with the i7 option.

Just remember, it's ONLY a problem WHILE streaming from my main PC to the living room PC.
If I transfer the content TO the living room PC and play it locally, it works great.
Old February 15, 2011, 09:29 AM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inate8 View Post
The laptop is an alienware m11x, top end model: Alienware Landing with the i7 option.

Just remember, it's ONLY a problem WHILE streaming from my main PC to the living room PC.
If I transfer the content TO the living room PC and play it locally, it works great.
We get that but we also want to cover all our bases before suggesting or looking into a network problem. MKV HD files should play find over a 100Mb wired connection even, so it's doubtful its a network connectivity issue, especially if youre just going through a "dumb" unmanaged gigabit switch. So then it's either a codec issue - which deals with buffers and how the files are handled when streaming, or a sharing issue as Supergrover suggested. Networking problem would be my 3rd choice :P

Edit:
Alienware M11x uses a GT335m doesnt it? Thats far newer then an 8800gt
Old February 15, 2011, 09:51 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Hmm good point, heh.

Everything is shared as a "shared folder". As long as you have the user/pass you can see my folders. Nothing complicated, no homegroup set up at all.

My main rig is set up to a fixed IP address, everyone else runs off of DHCP.