Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 18, 2011, 06:41 PM
Rookie

BTW, you shouldn't need to install any codecs at all if you're using MPC-HC, codec packs are a thing of the past. I have yet to run into anything that won't play on Win 7 x64 with MPC-HC.
Old February 18, 2011, 09:30 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer View Post
BTW, you shouldn't need to install any codecs at all if you're using MPC-HC, codec packs are a thing of the past. I have yet to run into anything that won't play on Win 7 x64 with MPC-HC.
hmm I am not to sure about the codecs are a thing of the past I had to get codecs so I could watch .flc files the only player that I have every used that didn't have any problems was VLC
Old February 18, 2011, 09:37 PM
MVP

Bad cable? What's the story on the cable you are using?

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old February 18, 2011, 09:56 PM
Banned
F@H

you guys are making good use of cuda or ati's hd playback implementations right?

my nv cards,besides folding of course, help with hd playback.

try playing a 20 gig mkv file on a lower end desktop and look at the cpu running scared

mpc-h or whatvers called that comes with the comie codecs is a must
Old February 19, 2011, 01:43 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Writer's solution with the "changing the network throttling" was exactly the issue.

I've been playing with different packs and players, everything for the last 3 months trying to figure out what to do. That was the ONLY issue... UGH!

Thank you SOO much Writer!

I'm going to stick with just using MPC-HC as my default player, as even my 54Gb BR rip of Avatar plays flawlessly with just that installed now.

Thanks again for everything but that solved it, network throttling.
Old February 19, 2011, 02:02 PM

My System Specs

If you are playing uncompressed BD copies you should be using ffdshow for your audio. MPC-HC can not decode lossless HD audio tracks as far as I know.
Old February 21, 2011, 12:11 AM
Banned
F@H

Default realtek utility, green ethernet, network issues

set up a new machine and had some issues with torrents. dl'ed the realtek diagnostic utility and proceeded to turn off most
things, which solved it. depending on the nic you have in use, you may want to get its utility and play with the settings.
play as in turn off one at a time and see if it fixes your problem.
something that is appearing more and more is a feature called 'green ethernet' . basically what this does it cuts off unused
ports in routers and switches, and also plays around with the voltage provided to the in use ports, which can be a real pain
in the butt. if youre having issues? that would be the first thing to disable. some utilities let you chose between different
stages,others not. just disable it.

Old November 23, 2011, 12:59 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Writer View Post
The problem you're running into is network throttling. Vista and Win7 have a feature that automatically throttles inbound network throughput whenever there is multimedia playback. This is done so the network overhead won't interfere with your media playback, but that would only be the case on a very, VERY slow system.

On a modern gaming or HTPC this feature makes no sense.

At least it's easy to modify or disable: just change the value of this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Network ThrottlingIndex

By default it's 10, which means reduce inbound bandwidth to 10% during multimedia playback.

Some guides recommend setting it to 40. I set it to >= 100 on all my PCs.

Setting it to any value of 100 or larger will disable the throttling. (Microsoft says to use 0xffffffff or -1 to disable it, but it's internally treated as an unsigned value so that's just another way of setting it to a value that is larger than 100.)

See How to use the throttling mechanism to control network performance in Windows Vista for more on this "feature."

Note that this only affects inbound bandwidth; you only need to change the setting on the local system where you're viewing the file, not the remote one that is hosting the file.
I would like to thank you for this fix. It has been bugging me but as soon as I applied it, it was working perfectly. Thank you again!
Old December 14, 2011, 02:27 PM
Rookie

Arrow

Do you what is your sustained Xfer rate ?
You can use iperf utility, which will give your network bandwidth
It is all about process of elimination
Old December 18, 2011, 10:47 PM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inate8 View Post
Hey guys, I just recently upgraded my main machine, and delegated my old comp to my living room computer. It's an E8400 on a P5N32E-SLI, with 8Gb ram(over-kill, I didn't have anything but 4gb sticks of DDR2 left), and an 8800GT 512mb.

Using this machine to run local content has been fine in the past and is again fine now, but when I stream over our giga network(dlink giga switch) any file that is 3Gb+ tends to lag out sooner or later. Usually anything over 4Gb just chops constantly.

I use CCCP(Combined Community Codec Pack - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia) for my basic codec install, and then I install coreAVC for it's ability to use GPU acceleration. I set the preferred codec in MPC's options and it shows that it's using core whenever I view files in MPC.

Disable GPU acelerations they create all kinds of lag rather than help. It's completely unecessary to use GPU acceleration for doing video play back and can cause unwanted issues. Besides it doesn't DO anything really... nothing that software doesn't already do as intended. I know this from experience. Just use default settings for codec installs and let the software do the rest. Obviously WMC needs SOME tweaking here and there for various formats. (albeit I haven't tried playing MKV or bluray on WMC in ages.)

Test with VLC and no codecs as it can play anything without installing anything.

If you wanna try something other than WMC (I cant stand it anymore) Download Boxee It's free.
It does everything...
Mah Rig now
Mah Rig before
My stuff for sale.