Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 15, 2011, 10:55 AM
MVP

If it were me, I'd test performance with other media players such as MPCHC. Next, I'd eliminate the network as a possible issue either by connecting the PC's together with a crossover cable or by connecting the laptop directly to the switch to see if it encounters an issue while wired.

It is a switch and not a router, correct? If it is a switch, what does your laptop connect to via wifi?

I've encountered different network issues in the past related to switches, routers and ethernet cable that resulted in the same symptoms -- streaming performance is choppy, but file transfers seem fine.

Both your CPU and GPU are more than sufficient for this task. What is the CPU utilization when playing HD content? Is there a difference when you enable/disable GPU acceleration?

Last edited by Desiato; February 15, 2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old February 15, 2011, 11:20 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I'll double check the resource usage when I get home.

As for internet, I have the internet coming into a wrt54l with dd-wrt installed on it. After that Just one cable going to my gigabit switch, with the rest of the(4) PC's plugged into the switch.

I'll pick up an extra 50' cat5e cable today as well, that's easier than moving everything again hahah.
Old February 15, 2011, 11:29 AM

My System Specs

First uninstall all codec packs. They are not needed and generally cause more issues than they resolve. Second just download MPC-HC. It can do h.264 DXVA no problem. There is no need to download anything else if you are fine w/ using MPC-HC. If you want to use other software for playback you still don't need codec packs. Download the newest ffdshow tryout. It can also do DXVA now and supports all HD audio codecs.
Old February 15, 2011, 11:33 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Guess I am just a creature of habit!
Thanks again for all the tips guys, I'll be busy tonight!
Old February 15, 2011, 01:52 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
First uninstall all codec packs. They are not needed and generally cause more issues than they resolve. Second just download MPC-HC. It can do h.264 DXVA no problem. There is no need to download anything else if you are fine w/ using MPC-HC. If you want to use other software for playback you still don't need codec packs. Download the newest ffdshow tryout. It can also do DXVA now and supports all HD audio codecs.
MPC used to be included with CCCP IIRC, again havnt used it in quite some time. I used and liked MPC but never could/did get my remote ( remote is trough my tv tuner http://us.kworld-global.com/main/pro...=18&prodid=239 Meh I paid $13 W/shipping) to work correctly even though it works fine with WMC/WMP.
Not meaning to thread hijack but if you know a workaround Lowfat and dont mind PM me, Thanks and back to the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3.0charlie View Post
My knuckles are bleeding from fishing through walls a new CAT6 network cable... I found fresh, untapped electrical outlets...
"It's all in the Reflexes"-Jack Burton
Old February 15, 2011, 02:32 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrover View Post
MPC used to be included with CCCP IIRC, again havnt used it in quite some time. I used and liked MPC but never could/did get my remote ( remote is trough my tv tuner http://us.kworld-global.com/main/pro...=18&prodid=239 Meh I paid $13 W/shipping) to work correctly even though it works fine with WMC/WMP.
Not meaning to thread hijack but if you know a workaround Lowfat and dont mind PM me, Thanks and back to the thread.
MPC-HC isn't MPC. It is substantially better. Not sure if you were referring to the old MPC or MPC-HC. MPC-HC uses its own built in codecs or can use DirectShow codecs if you wish instead. As for remotes I have no idea since I don't use one. But you could likely use EventGhost to get one working with it.
Old February 15, 2011, 08:35 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Well, so far with uninstalling everything using MPC-HC is working just fine on anything up until 720p rips.
Still with the very large files/1080p stuff it lags and chops.
Usage on a 6.1Gb anime movie(sword of the stranger 1080p flac audio) shows 7-15% max processor usage, and less than 1% of LAN usage. It plays fairly well and then jitters at some higher pace scenes.

Would using different codecs maybe fix this, or is this an issue maybe with streaming from a WD Green(5400RPM) > LAN > decoding on the TV PC? Maybe this Switch is crap... It's one of the older DLink green series. DGS-1008D. Everything is lit up to show a 1Gbit link.

I appreciate the input thus far, this is already running better using MPC-HC rather than the codec pack.
Old February 15, 2011, 08:37 PM
Quadfather

My System Specs

Wait, so you tried MPC-HC but you Didn't try the Shark007 codecs? Cover your bases and try it already, lol
Old February 17, 2011, 09:39 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

So over the course of the last couple days I have tried both options.
Shark007 ends up running equal to the CCCP setup, they basically use the same things aside from a tweaked ffdshow setup. MPC-HC with nothing else seems to run the best atm. Being able to run very large 1080 files with little chops now and then(pause and resume fixes it).

I've not changed any W7 settings on either machine.

Funny thing is that my M11x still runs these files flawlessly one a default install with CCCP installed, over wifi. Very curious indeed.

I'm going to replace the cable running into the living room and see if that affects anything. It's a long, older cable it may have some weak points in it, so it's worth a try!

Thanks again guys, I'll keep this updated on my findings.
Old February 18, 2011, 03:57 AM
Rookie

The problem you're running into is network throttling. Vista and Win7 have a feature that automatically throttles inbound network throughput whenever there is multimedia playback. This is done so the network overhead won't interfere with your media playback, but that would only be the case on a very, VERY slow system.

On a modern gaming or HTPC this feature makes no sense.

At least it's easy to modify or disable: just change the value of this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Multimedia\SystemProfile\Network ThrottlingIndex

By default it's 10, which means reduce inbound bandwidth to 10% during multimedia playback.

Some guides recommend setting it to 40. I set it to >= 100 on all my PCs.

Setting it to any value of 100 or larger will disable the throttling. (Microsoft says to use 0xffffffff or -1 to disable it, but it's internally treated as an unsigned value so that's just another way of setting it to a value that is larger than 100.)

See How to use the throttling mechanism to control network performance in Windows Vista for more on this "feature."

Note that this only affects inbound bandwidth; you only need to change the setting on the local system where you're viewing the file, not the remote one that is hosting the file.

Last edited by Writer; February 18, 2011 at 04:02 AM.