Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old February 9, 2011, 11:59 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangyman View Post
Thanks scruff - I may take you up on that, though it may be over-kill in my case...for now I'm waiting for the case and psu to arrive and try out the unit sans-gc.
I think you will find that the onboard graphics will wor just fine , streaming movies and such doesn't require much horsepower . My setup is on a 50" plasma and no issues at all
Old February 9, 2011, 12:14 PM
Banned
F@H

wow, thats nice. funny how specials work!

itll be nice and quiet. on the side, before if it said ea-d meant it was made by delta, if no d then seasonic.
either or, youll be fine.
very strong units,really nice.
Old February 9, 2011, 12:33 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Awesome! I feel better about my purchase now - thx guys!

scruff, I've got a Samsung 46" LCD, but does the receiving unit make any difference to the video signal sent over HDMI? I thought not.

Btw, what CPU are you using? I checked out the Noctua cooling unit you mentioned...god, that thing looks like a GTO engine! It might be a little tall for my case though. I guess I'll wait till I get my case and set it up so I can determine how much head room I've got to work with.

....can't stand the anticipation of gear arrival...wish I could put myself in sleep-mode until it arrives!
Old February 9, 2011, 12:39 PM
Banned
F@H

the only thing about small cases is that generally its a pain to go fanless...

if you had a regular case you could drop an hr-02 and forget all together about fans. for a low power i3 you could get away with

cheaper/smaller coolers, too.
Old February 9, 2011, 01:19 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
...if you had a regular case you could drop an hr-02 and forget all together about fans. for a low power i3 you could get away with cheaper/smaller coolers, too.
Yeah, I got the i3 rather than i5 to keep things moderate...not sure what "drop an hr-02" means, but I'm intrigued :)

Lack of headroom is why I'm ditching the In-Win BL641 case (3" H) and buying the nMedia HTPC-1000B (5.1" H)...I'm hoping that there's room, cause stacking a car engine cooler on my CPU just seems like too cool a thing not to do!

The new case has a spot for an LCD panel...I may just install something unnecessarily cool there too...lack of 3.5" front opening though, so I may just cut one out with a power tool and stick one of these suckers in...

...just cause I can! Haha!...ow, my wallet.

I saw a thread somewhere around here about a guy who wants to powder coat his case! ....sweet!
...sorry, must curb my enthusiasm.
Old February 9, 2011, 02:04 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangyman View Post
Awesome! I feel better about my purchase now - thx guys!

scruff, I've got a Samsung 46" LCD, but does the receiving unit make any difference to the video signal sent over HDMI? I thought not.

Btw, what CPU are you using? I checked out the Noctua cooling unit you mentioned...god, that thing looks like a GTO engine! It might be a little tall for my case though. I guess I'll wait till I get my case and set it up so I can determine how much head room I've got to work with.

....can't stand the anticipation of gear arrival...wish I could put myself in sleep-mode until it arrives!
I'm using the I3 530 and a Lian-Li PC-C34F case It's a pretty big case ,about the same size as my Oynkyo 808 reciever ( also $250). The noctura has about 1.5" (35mm} of clearance to the top of the case. It seems to keep the cpu at about 25C idle ,havn't really tested it under load yet. My buddy used this one NCIX.com - Buy Prolimatech Samuel 17 Compact Low Profile Heatpipe CPU Cooler Heatsink LGA1156 LGA1366 LGA775 AM3 - Samuel 17 In Canada. and it works good too , just pick a quiet fan. the other thing I liked about the Noctura was it fits over my OCZ Gold ram no problem and blows a little air on them as well By the way the 140mm fan with the Noctura is verry quiet , just a little fugly
Old February 9, 2011, 02:12 PM
Top Prospect

He means if you install the HR-02 in your case as an aftermarket cooler, you won't have to worry about installing fans, thus solving the problem of clearance.
Old February 9, 2011, 02:19 PM
Banned
F@H

you might get away with a scythe low profile downdraft cooler, in their height size unbeatable,from what
i remember checking a little while ago :)

hr-02 being this guy here :

im not sure how big a hole it would need but it would look scary haha

Old February 9, 2011, 02:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stock View Post
He means if you install the HR-02 in your case as an aftermarket cooler, you won't have to worry about installing fans, thus solving the problem of clearance.
OOps sorry but I'm with jangyman , whats an HR-02 ???
Old February 9, 2011, 02:34 PM
Top Prospect

Ahh I didn't see the case he was using. The cooler (HR-02) is definitely way too tall to fit at 160mm (my bad!). Jangyman will definitely need a low profile one.