Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 21, 2011, 11:20 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post
I wouldn't pay $89 for it , I got mine on sale for $54 and I've seen them on for a little less from time to time . As I said , for basic tasks and light surfing on my HTPC its fine . I played around with a Denovo and couldn't see paying $150 for it , each to his own I guess . I wish that someone (store) close by would stock a few different mini keypads that you could play with . Also with the denovo ,when I looked around the web forums it seemed to be about 50/50 love hate and the pro mini actually was about 80/20 love /hate
Honestly you two are the first people I've seen that like this keypad. The arrow keys are too small. It loses connection way too much. If it loses connection while pressing a button, it acts as if the button was hit 50 times. If this happens while I am skipping through part of the show, it often skips to the end of the show because of it.

I am not sure if the bluetooth version out there is any better, but I have my doubts.
Old January 21, 2011, 11:21 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by scruff View Post
I wouldn't pay $89 for it , I got mine on sale for $54 and I've seen them on for a little less from time to time.
I'm in no rush to buy. I just started playing in the htpc field, so by the time I'm ready to commit it will either be cheaper, or something better will be available. I'm basically looking for a remote, and I don't think a remote is worth that much either
Old January 21, 2011, 11:35 AM
MVP
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Honestly you two are the first people I've seen that like this keypad. The arrow keys are too small. It loses connection way too much. If it loses connection while pressing a button, it acts as if the button was hit 50 times. If this happens while I am skipping through part of the show, it often skips to the end of the show because of it.

I am not sure if the bluetooth version out there is any better, but I have my doubts.
The "built-in" remote for the Silverstone LC20M is pretty much the same, but the fact that this had a touchpad was an improvement. I don't know where you put the the receiver, but if you put it in front or use an extension so that it's clear of any obstruction then it works just fine. As for arrow keys, it's a matter of preference. I don't particularly like them, but they work for my intended purpose.

PSXeven. Batards of the World Unite!
The gap between happiness and utter misery is only but a few inches
Old January 21, 2011, 11:38 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post

I have the bluetooth version , and I agree it is small but thats why I bought it. Like everything I buy I look at it carefully and logically as I can . It does loose connection from time to time but I havn,t experienced the stutter that you describe. Out of the few that I was able to actually touch this one does what I need for now , is it great ? no but I don't have any deal breaking beefs with it either. I guess what I am saying is that it does what I wanted it to do well enough ,in a size that I wanted and I didn't expect it to be a full sized keyboard and mouse but I wouldn't pay $89 for it either. Even a couple of my non tech buddies bought them and don't have any real beefs with them.( small ? Yes)
I should clarify that I managed to get my Harmony One to work with XBMC 10 and WMC to a certain degree but it won't do everything so I bought the pro mini to do my windows maintenance and other work type things on the HTPC , I find that I still need a keyboard and mouse from time to time .

Last edited by scruff; January 21, 2011 at 11:45 AM.
Old February 9, 2011, 10:31 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Why does the pro mini drop connection? It's got serious cool-appeal, and I want to like it (though it doesn't have a TV remote on the back-side and would probably be unusuable in my bear mitts anyways)...I'm really looking for a cheap input device that's worthy of a home theatre and doesn't require lap space. Not too keen on the DiNovo Mini form factor.

Anyone try this Lenonvo kb/trackball unit? Looks cool too, though they could've added TV remote buttons under the trackball, imho.

Old February 9, 2011, 11:49 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by jangyman View Post
Why does the pro mini drop connection? It's got serious cool-appeal, and I want to like it (though it doesn't have a TV remote on the back-side and would probably be unusuable in my bear mitts anyways)...I'm really looking for a cheap input device that's worthy of a home theatre and doesn't require lap space. Not too keen on the DiNovo Mini form factor.

Anyone try this Lenonvo kb/trackball unit? Looks cool too, though they could've added TV remote buttons under the trackball, imho.

Too bad I didn't see this one first , I would probably like the track ball better than the touch pad and at the price I'd be willing to give it a try . Also I use the mini in combination with my Harmony One remote with my Home theator system and HTPC
Old February 9, 2011, 12:42 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I must admit, the Lenovo's got sex appeal...I'm going to hit my local computer shop to see how it feels. The reviews on NCIX were good. One knock for not having a back light...that might be a problem, now that I think of it.