Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 19, 2011, 09:15 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD View Post
Are you positive that the cards can capture from two inputs at the same time?
Their support should be able to provide me with that answer

Quote:
And that SageTV would support that as well?
At first sight I'd say it does. I haven't tried much with it yet, but the initial setup lets me beleive it does support it.

Quote:
And it seems like you'd need a fair amount of CPU power, or a boat load of HDD space depending on how much or how little compression you use when recording. Even to directly steam, I'm guessing you'll need a fairly powerful server.
I don't record.
I quickly tried the software tonight. The server version on an old box I had laying around, and the client on my daily comp and it ran smoothly. I'll find out how much hardware I need as I go I guess. I'm not planning on watching blue rays over the network anyway. I just want the TV feed.

Quote:
On the software front, I'd suggest looking into MediaPortal. It's hardware support is a bit more limited I think, but at least it's free and open-source. If I recall, it does have a TV Server as well which I'm guessing is similar to SageTV. I use MediaPortal myself for playback of media but I don't bother with capturing/streaming TV.
I'll look into it for sure.
Old January 19, 2011, 09:28 PM

My System Specs

Quote:
Are you positive that the cards can capture from two inputs at the same time? And that SageTV would support that as well?

And it seems like you'd need a fair amount of CPU power, or a boat load of HDD space depending on how much or how little compression you use when recording. Even to directly steam, I'm guessing you'll need a fairly powerful server.

On the software front, I'd suggest looking into MediaPortal. It's hardware support is a bit more limited I think, but at least it's free and open-source. If I recall, it does have a TV Server as well which I'm guessing is similar to SageTV. I use MediaPortal myself for playback of media but I don't bother with capturing/streaming TV.
I know SageTV can support numerous amounts of tuners at the same time. I can also confirm that it needs almost zero CPU power when using the Hauppauge HD PVR since they encode on the fly. Although I have no idea the CPU usage for other capture cards.
Old January 20, 2011, 07:40 AM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Although I have no idea the CPU usage for other capture cards.
That, I will find out soon enough.
I couldn't find the tuner card I thaught I had yesterday. So I basically "built" a repository of "movies" on the SageServer. The "movies" were videos I had made from gameplay(@ 720p with sound).

While I was playing the "movies" on the SageClient, the SageServer cpu didn't go past 25%. And it ain't a mainstream cpu by any means(or maybe it was 6 years ago).