Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 18, 2011, 06:26 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default Samsung 46" TV, the internet, and Blue Ray

Any home theater experts in the house?

I realize this isn't exactly a computer question but I was hoping someone knew a lot.

I am looking at the Samsung 46" LCD TV model LN46C650L1F and the LNC630L1F.
HDTV Televisions | LCD TVs, LED TVs, Plasma TVs | Samsung
There is about a $200 price difference between them and all I can really tell is that the 650 can do the Wireless Link stick (additional charge) and comes with the Samsung aps package.

What do you get with the Samsung aps? Is it worth it? Is the wireless thing a big deal? The 630 has a LAN connection in the back and USB ports, why can't you do a wireless do-dad in it?

I also notices that some of the Samsung blue Ray players have internet, wireless, and Samsung aps too and they are about $179. What would be the problem with getting the 630 and hooking the blue ray to it and get the aps and internet through that?

Thoughts anyone?
Old January 18, 2011, 07:12 PM
Hall Of Fame

Not worth it.

The aps aren't and the wireless is a way for things like Netflix to work but Netflix in Canada is only supported on a select few devices.
Old January 19, 2011, 06:13 AM
HardwareCanuck Review Editor

Samsung's Apps package is not worth it, especially in Canada where a number of them are locked out courtesy of the Commies at the CRTC. However, it is my understanding that you stand a chance of winning the famous "Samsung panel lottery" with the C650 series.
Old January 19, 2011, 07:18 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYMTL View Post
Samsung's Apps package is not worth it, especially in Canada where a number of them are locked out courtesy of the Commies at the CRTC. However, it is my understanding that you stand a chance of winning the famous "Samsung panel lottery" with the C650 series.
I agree. I was dead set on a samsung 46" as well until I heard about the lottery. I went with an LG 47" instead. As far going wireless, I would suggest you take a look at the asus wicast. It can currently be had at a few locations for 159.99 after $50 MIR. This is the route I'll be taking shortly.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)