Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 12, 2011, 11:48 AM

My System Specs

Well you should still be able to cancel your order no problem as long as it hasn't shipped.
Old January 14, 2011, 11:05 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

rogers/shaw/cogeco/etc. All use Encrypted QAM for cable services for most of the channels. Currently the only way to record digital cable is by using either the providers PVR's or the aforementioned Hauppage PVR recorder which BTW only does 720P IIRC. How ever if most of the channels you watch you can get OTA then that's a different story since any ATSC tuner can do that.

Old January 16, 2011, 03:07 PM
Top Prospect

On this topic, I have a question about buying an HVR-1250. We have digital cable, but the actual box is downstairs while every other TV in the house is just regular cable with no box. If I buy a the HVR-1250 will it work just fine? or will I have the problem of needing a Digital TV box to use the signal?

Edit: All I want to watch is regular cable, the 2-62 channel cable, not HDTV, not digital 100+ channel cable.

Btw, will it still get those 100+ digital channels?
Old January 16, 2011, 05:05 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

I think I can answer your questions m0pelley99. My cable company transmits both analog and digital. The analog channels don't require a set-top box while the digital channels do. The first 50 channels are available on analog and digital. The channels above 50 are digital only.

I've got a Hauppauge WinTV-HVR-2250. It is connected directly without a set-top box. I get the first 50 channels through analog on my computer. The digital channels are all encrypted, except some of the music channels.

It's probably the same for you. You can get the channels 2-62 on your computer without the box. If you want to get the other channels, you'll have to connect the output of the box to the computer.

I use Windows Media Center that's included with Windows 7. I also MCEBuddy to rencode some of the shows I record. It's mainly to save diskspace. It also has the advantage to reencode to a format compatible with my iPod Touch. Recording on the pc also has the advantage that you can adjust the play speed. I often watch TV on my pc at 1.50x or 2.0x the speed when the show is not worth watching at the regular speed and I want to waste as little time as possible watching.
Old January 16, 2011, 06:26 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0pelley99 View Post
Edit: All I want to watch is regular cable, the 2-62 channel cable, not HDTV, not digital 100+ channel cable.

Btw, will it still get those 100+ digital channels?
I think you pretty much answered your own question by saying that. If you are not getting the 100+ digitall channels on your TV with just straight analog into it, then no you will not get them. You could however hookup a DCT/STB to a TV tuner card and just set it to channel 3 on your PC and use the DCT to change channels with it's remote, if you wanted to.

Also, on the topic of "All Digital in 2011", whoever said that that does not mean Analog cable is disappearing is correct. It only means you won't be able to receive OTA (over the air) analog signals, only digital ones. IE: Rabbit Ears won't work.
Old January 16, 2011, 07:27 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
I think you pretty much answered your own question by saying that. If you are not getting the 100+ digitall channels on your TV with just straight analog into it, then no you will not get them. You could however hookup a DCT/STB to a TV tuner card and just set it to channel 3 on your PC and use the DCT to change channels with it's remote, if you wanted to.

Also, on the topic of "All Digital in 2011", whoever said that that does not mean Analog cable is disappearing is correct. It only means you won't be able to receive OTA (over the air) analog signals, only digital ones. IE: Rabbit Ears won't work.
Actually the rabbit ear's antenna would work fine it's the NTSC tuner that they are attached to that won't work :) (and yes a GOOD HD Antenna does make a difference)

Old January 16, 2011, 09:17 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Well ya that's what i meant since I know most people with newer HDTV's don't use them to watch OTA channels, so on older TV's without ATSC tuners (MOST new TV's should have them) you'd need to get some sort of ATSC>Analog converter box.
Old January 17, 2011, 12:20 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Newegg.com - DIAMOND ATI Theater HD 750 Tuner Card TVW750PCIE PCI-Express x1 Interface

See if Newegg.CA can get it AMD released a brand new TV tuner card aka the 750 just a little while ago.
Old January 17, 2011, 03:03 AM
Top Prospect

Thanks for the answer!
Old February 10, 2011, 08:42 PM
Rookie

My System Specs

Heh I wish I checked this thread couple of days after my last response. System has been built already and I talked to my buddy and he doesn't mind if hes only going to get analog/basic cable through the tuner card.

Any suggestions for a pcie-1x tuner card? It will be running on Windows 7 64-bit.

Thanks.