Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old January 6, 2008, 02:17 AM
Top Prospect

Default Large project

So basically the minster from my church came up to me and wanted me to help him with a little project. While I have very few details at this time they want the following.

1. A network (wireless Internet in the church) - this will be a easy task.
2. Two projectors
I'm thinking about this projector
3. One computer to run them both (I will build this, again easy)

While it initially seems simple it's not, or for me anyways. Basically we are going to have the computer at the back of a large room (It can probably fit roughly ~600 people). Then the projectors are going to be in the front projecting an image on the wall. I'm thinking that we might be hanging the projectors from the wall, maybe not because it's just another headache.

Anyways, I'm basically curious as to how you guys think I should hook them up. Because it'll require a lot of cabling to hook them up, I'm thinking 50 feet for one 70 feet for the other, VGA would be out of the question because the signal would degrade. DVI, well I have no idea where I'd get a connection that long, same goes with HDMI. Even if I could find a connection that long, I wouldn't even want to know the price.

So I'm thinking I have two options right now:
Wireless (can this even be done)
CAT5 cabling

While I know CAT5 is for internet, I have heard of many people transferring video singal through it, but I'm not sure how to do so. Can anyone give me any insight on either one of these two options, other something else I may have overlooked.

As for audio, we already have a sound system all hooked up to the back, so I'm assuming that the computer could be intergraded into that system.

I know all the problems could be adverted if we moved the PC to the front with the projectors, but no one wants someone controlling everything to be on the "stage".
So any help with this project would be greatly appreciated.
James
Old January 6, 2008, 03:06 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Well depending on what your showing on the projectors, you might want to consider a wireless projector. Video probably isn't that great over wireless, but PowerPoint and stuff would be fine. Basically connects via Wi-Fi, but I'm unsure if you can run two at the same time. I'd assume there must be wired network projectors too? Might be worth looking into as that would solve the cable issue.

My school has an Epson wireless one that I got to play around with. It lagged pretty badly and the laptop was right beside it for fast moving things like movies. For more or less stationary things it was fine though.

VGA cables do go up to 100ft though: Cables To Go 100-Foot HD15 MaleMale UXGA (1600x1200) Monitor Cable with Ferrites 28018 in Canada at TigerDirect.ca
Quote:
  • Ferrites protect against EMI/RFI interference
  • Accommodates cable runs up to 100ft without a booster (in most cases)
  • Ideal for video presentation devices, video splitters and KVM switches
Old January 7, 2008, 02:13 AM
Top Prospect

Doesn't the quality greatly degrade on VGA over long distances?
I'm looking at long DVI cables, at that's just to pricey. Lower quality or not, I think I might need to take a VGA cable......
Yeah, we are likely going to play movies, so if a wireless connection is laggy, thats out of the question. I'd think you'd be able to place to wireless projectors in the same from as there are probably a variety of frequencies or channels that the projector would be able to operate on.
James
Old January 9, 2008, 12:19 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Here is my suggesstion. dont bother with dvi or hdmi. If the projectors support component use that. I have a 40 foot component cable at home that was custom made from monitor cable. I don't ahve any issue with signal degradation coming from either my reciever or HTPC. While yes it is only 40 feet i am sure you could go longer. As for mounting the projectors i would recommend a ceiling mount for the following reason.

1. Ceiling mount prevents people from getting in the light path.

Also while you may only have enough budget for the computer, projectors, and the hardware setup you may want to also consider bduegting in screens as while walls do work. A screen provides better contrast and a more level and flat surface.

The Church my brother goes to recently installed a projector in their church and their setup works quite well.

Old January 9, 2008, 07:09 PM
Top Prospect

You can get special paint (which is very expensive) and paint the wall. It'd look neater, though at this stage I'm not going to rule out a screen. Because while this paint is an alternative, a screen still and likely always will look better.
James
Old January 9, 2008, 10:40 PM
F@H

My System Specs

As for the cable issue, maybe try a VGA and a component?
If both works fine then just use both, else buy another of the better one and maybe try and sell the one that didn't work so well.

I used a projector on my wall over the holidays (borrowed it) and it looked quite fine. I wouldn't spend the money on a screen/paint until you see how it actually looks. However if the wall has a bunch of flaws in it then I guess you'd want a screen.

Another thought, maybe run like 25ft VGA to a VGA splitter box (might increase the signal strength?), and then run 25-50ft from there. Assuming you want the same picture on both.
Old January 9, 2008, 10:44 PM
Top Prospect

I don't have enough details, but adding a splitter would reduce the quality.
Also, I don't want to limit myself too two projectors that can only display the same thing.
Lastly, anyone know of any DVI to DVI connectors. I havn't mesured anything out as of yet, but assuming that 100ft is to short, it would give me the option of adding another cable.
I'm pretty sure they used flat paint, so I'm not overly worried about the wall.
James