Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old December 10, 2010, 01:41 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Default My HTPC Build

Well first off I was just going to modify the firmware of my WDTV Live and make movie sheets for everything I had which sounded like a great idea but then I thought everyones making HTPC's now a days...I want one. Now I already got about 5k worth of electronics in my living room still sitting in boxes that my mom doesn't seem to be able to justify me spending my money on but this I told her would be quite cheap. Here are my parts for the build so far,

Ordered parts that I cannot go back on:

AMD Phenom II X2 555 Dual Core Processor AM3 3.2GHZ 6MB L3 Cache 80W 45NM Retail Box - 89.99
Silverstone Lascala LC17B Black ATX HTPC Case 2X5.25 1X3.5 6X3.5INT W/ 2X80MM Case Fan - 119.54
Seasonic SS-400ET 400W EPS12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS 6PIN PCI-E 120MM Fan OEM - 41.69
Syba 4 Port Internal SATA II RAID 0/1/5/10/JBOD PCI Controller Card - 34.78
NZXT Premium Individually Sleeved Computer Cables 4PIN Molex to 3x SATA Power Adapter Cable - 10.49

Parts I plan to order:

Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H AMD880G mATX AM3 DDR3 1PCIE CrossFireX DVI HDMI GBLAN SATA3 USB3.0 Motherboard - 103.98
Corsair VS2GB1333D3 2GB 1X2GB DDR3-1333 240PIN DIMM Memory - 25.77
Six 2TB Drives and will manually duplicate data
Three 80mm blue LED fans
Blu-ray drive
Low profile hsf if someone can suggest one.
Logitech Harmony remote if I can justify $200 on one.
Sata cables

The reason I want this gigabyte board is cause I'm a gigabyte mobo fan and I love that it has auto unlock that will go hand in hand with this cpu, I have heard alot of people getting tri-quad cores out of the phenoms and hope to get the same. The ram here is just basic 2GB of ram, I plan to watch movies off my Mediasonic 4 Bay enclosure which I have four 2TB drives in already and thats it; while running either media browser or XBMC I won't be using this for anything else period. The reason I need the PCI sata card is cause I basically run out of sata ports here which reminds me to buy more sata cables! I'm sort of hoping to grab the rest of this build on boxing day and some other goodies. So what does my HTPC build look like so far for a budget build? Does it look ok or should I switch some parts around? I've never really thought about adding a HDTV TV Tuner either to the mix since I don't know how well XBMC or Media Browser support it yet...Thanks for any advice guys.
Old December 10, 2010, 02:06 PM

My System Specs

0o0o a fellow Grande Prairian

I hope you don't plan on throwing 6 HDD's inside the LC17B. It can physically fit, bit it is nearly impossible. The second drive cage is right in front of the power supply. If you don't remove it it makes it a nightmare for wiring.
Old December 10, 2010, 02:12 PM
Banned
F@H

hopefully youll stick to wd for drives. as per above, it will be tight, you may consider something roomier.maybe.

the harmony is nice, hell its a little jewel but its not worth the asking price. i got a couple open box ones for around 100 bucks a pop. still too expensive but hey.

try a nice scythe for the sink.
Old December 10, 2010, 02:18 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

If you don't need sata3 I would save some dough and get the GA-880GM-UD2H version of that motherboard. The only difference is the crappier southbridge. Can be had for $85 at Best Direct ATM, though I've been seeing them hit the $7x price range.
Old December 10, 2010, 02:19 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
0o0o a fellow Grande Prairian

I hope you don't plan on throwing 6 HDD's inside the LC17B. It can physically fit, bit it is nearly impossible. The second drive cage is right in front of the power supply. If you don't remove it it makes it a nightmare for wiring.
Your one of the reasons I joined this forum to be honest :P

I'm hoping I'll have a bit of room above the psu to put some of the cables seeing it's a matx board and this case is fit for an ATX, if worst comes to worst I'll just get a 5.25 to 3.5 adapter and just mount four drives in there instead of six.

@dangtx, of course I'll be going WD I've got eight-teen laying around the house :P Couple need to be rma'd though but no big deal.
Old December 10, 2010, 05:07 PM
MVP

I managed to get 2 drives mounted in that far drive cage. The power supply cables take up the bottom bay, I'm not sure its physically possible to get a 3rd in there as your cables exit the power supply right there... As lowfat says it makes for a wiring mess. You might be able to fit a 3rd drive in there if you dont put a fan in front of the cage and push the drives forward as far as they'll go...

Seagate had a rash of problems with thier drives last year but I thought that was all cleared up? Myself I have no brand preference, whatever is on sale. I do have 3 7200.12 2TB with no issues.

You might consider a dinovo? or some other wireless keyboard?
Old December 10, 2010, 11:13 PM
Banned
F@H

cool. everything can and will fail. at least with wd,usually, i know long before. you know, you get the hdtune warning, then the yellow becomes red, and thats where you save data,wipe and rma it. or before that.
Old December 10, 2010, 11:37 PM
MVP

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by _dangtx_ View Post
cool. everything can and will fail. at least with wd,usually, i know long before. you know, you get the hdtune warning, then the yellow becomes red, and thats where you save data,wipe and rma it. or before that.
Yea my current 2nd WD 2TB Black is starting to go on me :-/ same problem as my old 1TB version, made a loud grinding noise when I was around the half way of storing mark. I think I might also grab a htpc keyboard from ncix as well to just do the odd updates of data and renaming of files if I don't do it on my main pc already and maybe a wireless mouse :)
Old December 11, 2010, 12:39 AM
Banned
F@H

was the 2tb black a storage or os+storage drive?
Old December 11, 2010, 12:41 AM
MVP

My System Specs

It was my main OS drive, so was my 1TB. The only difference between my usages on them is my 1TB was full of games (about 400GB worth) And this one is full of blu-ray rips (about 1.5TB worth)