Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 12, 2010, 01:57 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Default Boxee Box by D-Link

I know you can get one from BB. Ive seen the demo, but that was based in US.

Anyone currently using one? Thoughts?
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old November 17, 2010, 05:35 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I was gonna get one on release in Canada but i am hosting xmas this year so in jan. I will be getting one. You can try out the software. But from what I have read on their forums its good. I like the software and its still in beta.

boxee :: forums

that their forums
Old November 17, 2010, 10:00 PM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rescue119 View Post
I was gonna get one on release in Canada but i am hosting xmas this year so in jan. I will be getting one. You can try out the software. But from what I have read on their forums its good. I like the software and its still in beta.

boxee :: forums

that their forums

Thanks! I found it doing a google search. Im gonna lurk around for a bit, but once you get yours - share your experience with it
-Swiffy MCP35x X2, (2) Aphacool UT60 480 rad, Heatkiller rev. 3.0, i7 3930k @ 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB G.SKILL F3, Asus Rampage IV Extreme, XFX R9 290 w/ XPSC WB, Crucial M4 128GB & 240 GB Intel 530, (5) 3 TB Toshiba Drive, Corsair AX1200, Win 7 Ult 64-bit

HTPC Rig:
-G3258 @ Stock, Asrock Z97 Pro 4, Gigabyte 270x, 500 GB WD Black, (5) 2 TB WD Green, (1) 3 TB Toshiba HD, (1) 2 TB Samsung F4, Fractal Design R3, Corsair HX620 PS, Win 7 Ult 64-bit
Old November 18, 2010, 06:56 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

I want this pretty bad. Everything i'd want in a HTPC, but in a nice small, retail package lol

My Rig: Motivation 2.0
----------------
Build log - Motivation: Sponsored by Galaxy and Corsair
---------------
Check out the HardwareCanucks Youtube Channel for News/Reviews and more!
Instagram Twitter
Old November 21, 2010, 07:03 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I was at a family dinner last night and one of the guests I met was the mother of the President of D-Link and we talked about the Boxee Box, she's headed to California tomorrow for a week to visit him and is going to try and bring me back one. If it happens I'll post up some sort of small review.

Old November 21, 2010, 08:26 AM
3.0 "I kill SR2's" Charlie
F@H

My System Specs

Their software is based on XMBC. Friends And Sponsors | XBMC
Old November 24, 2010, 01:09 PM
Rookie

Anandtech has done a review on their site.

A mixed review, but generally "pretty good for the cheap price".
Old November 24, 2010, 01:55 PM
Hall Of Fame

I wonder if it is (or is going to) run into similar issues as the Google TV stuff with content providers blocking the Boxee Box from streaming shows.
Old January 6, 2011, 04:02 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well i finally got around to getting a boxee box and its pretty sweet.

First it looks great. The remote is RF which is a plus for people like me who have their a/v stuff hidden. And it came with a HDMI cable, about 4-5ft, which is another plus if you dont already have one and thats about 25-60 bucks right their depending on brand.

I have been using the software for awhile and more and more Canadian content is being added all the time.

I havent found a show yet that i haven't been able to watch.

setup was easy just plug it in and connect to your internet, (wireless or wired) and then of course update the software and done. You can custom setup other stuff but basically its a very tiny computer. It streams well and the features it comes with are good as well. It has built in browsers and such.

The only downside is that I won't be able to watch Live TV unless it is streamed live on the internet like the world juniors and the olympics as examples

I may still keep basic cable so I can watch local news (i could just wait and watch the news after it is broadcasted) and leaf games (i could sign up for the NHL website service as well) but basically thats all I need basic cable for.

So at a price of 199 plus tax = 225.99

i pay about 100 (not including internet) right now and that will be dropping to about 40/month so

thats 60/month savings.

So in just 4 months it will be paid off and I can use that money for more important things............like more ram .

I would give the boxee a 4.5 out of 5 because its easy to use, will save me money, awesome 2 sided remote and great looks.

Netflix isnt in use yet in canada on the boxee box, (should be in Q1 2011) but I have a PS3 that uses netflix so that doesnt bother me.

If you are thinking about getting one go and tryout their software first for free and make up your own mind.

Any questions about it I will try and answer but all and all its a good deal.

Cheers