Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old November 8, 2010, 06:00 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

Default a system for watch TV in HD

I am thinking of getting ride of my cable and building a system just to watch TV on since most shows are posted online after they are aired.

So i was wondering what kinda system should I build for this. I want to be able to hook it up to my system via HDMI and optical for the surround sound (7.1),

I wont be playing games on this system as i have my gaming rig for that.

I just want to be able to watch TV in HD through a comp.

I dont have a budget in mind but would not like to spend alot because its gonna be basic system

Any thoughts or ideas, even a ready made unit somewhere would be ok too.

Cheers
Old November 8, 2010, 06:05 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

would something like this work for me?

Boxee Box by D-Link Wireless HD Media Player (DSM-380) : Media Streaming - Future Shop
Old November 8, 2010, 07:50 AM
Hall Of Fame

before buying it you might want to check if it has apps to allow you to watch the online streams from the sites you normally use. You can actually download the boxee software free (Boxee - Movies, TV Shows and Video from the Internet on your TV.) and maybe check it out on your PC to see if it has what you need. The Boxee Box also doesn't have any internal storage if that is important to you.
Old November 8, 2010, 07:57 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ya i am trying out their software now, also storage doesnt matter to me since i dont download movies anyways, i either rent or watch it on netflix. if the software works out allright i might go this way.
Old November 8, 2010, 08:10 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well seems like they have alot of stuff available.......

well they have every show me and my wife watch except for "the walking dead" which i can view on AMC's website anyways,

Only thing now is how to get the leaf's games.

guess i could go to the local pub and watch each game

Last edited by Rescue119; November 8, 2010 at 08:31 AM.
Old November 8, 2010, 09:16 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

well i found a app for this system that you can do a search for any show on the internet and if its found it will broadcast it........

So i think this is the way I will go.

I did the math and my rogers bill will go from about 2100 / year to around 820 /year (just keeping the internet)

and all I have to do is dish out the inital cost for the item which at 199 + taxes isnt that much.

only thing you dont get is live tv but we dont watch reality crap tv's and I can listen to the news on the web or radio as well.

ok course i have to talk it over with the wife first since we would go from 2 TV's to 1 TV but if it works out ok I will by another one of these units........

will let you know in a few days as thats when they will be available
Old November 8, 2010, 09:41 AM
Hall Of Fame

Did you make sure to change your location to where you actually live in the settings (it defaults to NY)? I don't use any of the streaming sites, but I know some don't (or at least didn't) in Canada or are more limited.
Old November 8, 2010, 02:20 PM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

ya i did. Since they are releasing in Canada soon they made sure to get content for it. The shows I watch are on Global, CityTV, CTV, and CBC and they where all available. and with the navi-x app for it i am able to get many more
Old November 8, 2010, 04:39 PM
Hall Of Fame

You could also check out Patriot Box Office, I think you need to install some 3rd party software on your PC to stream episodes from the web but it is considerably cheaper (99.99$ - 35$ mail rebate at Newegg http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...C-C8junctionCA and 94.99 - 35$ mail in rebate at NCIX NCIX.com - Buy Patriot Box Office Network Media Player 2.5IN HDD Support USB HDMI LAN MKV RMVB ISO DTS P2P - PCMPBO25 In Canada.).

If money isn't really an issue the Boxee Box might be a good choice as it doesn't require a computer to serve as a middle man for streaming stuff from CTV or wherever. However as you can see on the HWC homepage there is an update to the PBO so maybe it does support that stuff out of the box now.