Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   HTPC Can't play 1080p (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/36766-htpc-cant-play-1080p.html)

Arinoth October 2, 2010 09:12 PM

HTPC Can't play 1080p

As a remind its an AMD Phenoem 8520e Triple Core Processor with 2 GB of ram and the HD4200 onboard graphics card in the ASUS M4A785-M.

This evening i tried playing using VLC (don't have xbmc re-set up on it yet) Bon Cop, Bad cop 1080p version on my HTPC. Unfortunately it didn't work. The audio was played back just fine however the video was not showing up. I thought VLC had hardware acceleration on it or is it not that great and xbmc may run with my cpu and gpu better then vlc? Should i turn off cool and quiet (seems to drop down the CPUs a lot to save power/cuts their multi in half most the time) or do i need a dedicated gpu to get 1080p working on this thing? Overclocking the cpu isnt really an option as the most i can push it is from 1.9 to 2.0 as the motherboard or cpu wont go further then that (no NB voltage control and can only push cpu vcore to 1.25 which does nothing anyways)

_dangtx_ October 2, 2010 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 435123)
As a remind its an AMD Phenoem 8520e Triple Core Processor with 2 GB of ram and the HD4200 onboard graphics card in the ASUS M4A785-M.

This evening i tried playing using VLC (don't have xbmc re-set up on it yet) Bon Cop, Bad cop 1080p version on my HTPC. Unfortunately it didn't work. The audio was played back just fine however the video was not showing up. I thought VLC had hardware acceleration on it or is it not that great and xbmc may run with my cpu and gpu better then vlc? Should i turn off cool and quiet (seems to drop down the CPUs a lot to save power/cuts their multi in half most the time) or do i need a dedicated gpu to get 1080p working on this thing? Overclocking the cpu isnt really an option as the most i can push it is from 1.9 to 2.0 as the motherboard or cpu wont go further then that (no NB voltage control and can only push cpu vcore to 1.25 which does nothing anyways)

yes disable everything.

try cccp as well. smplayer, zoomplayer.
then if no workie give coreavc a try. good solution for folks who don't want to upgrade their hardware, although id get a 5 series or gt220 or so in there asap!

but then again the cpu is kinda limited. even if it was maybe 2.5 you could still have issues.

Desiato October 2, 2010 09:48 PM

my understanding is that your configuration should have no problems @ 1080p with DXVA enabled. (I assume you're using Windows.) I'd try XBMC (Dharma) and MPC-HC; nothing to lose, they install quickly.

Arinoth October 3, 2010 07:26 AM

Hmm it would seem like one of the things vlc brags about (which is using gpu acceleration) comes disabled when you install it. At least it did when i installed it on the htpc. Enabling that and turning off cool and quiet (aka not letting the bios downclock my cpus whenever it feels they aren't being used that much) has allowed 1080p playback to work perfectly now.

JMCD October 3, 2010 12:20 PM

I'd try GOM player over VLC. Some 1080p videos don't play properly on my laptop in VLC or WMP, but they all do in GOM.

lowfat October 3, 2010 12:26 PM

Solution: Don't use VLC. Its DXVA hardware acceleration is horrific. You can try MPC-HC's DXVA to see if it helps. If not try CoreAVC w/ MPC-HC.

implosion222 October 3, 2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 435377)
Solution: Don't use VLC. Its DXVA hardware acceleration is horrific. You can try MPC-HC's DXVA to see if it helps. If not try CoreAVC w/ MPC-HC.

+1 , you can try XBMC as well.

Cheator October 4, 2010 01:49 PM

XBMC's has been problematic for me as well. I've used HD3200s and a 3450 with issues, and it is due to ATI's DXVA stuff. Some high-bandwidth video won't play properly or will provide a black screen. use MPC-HD to test to see if it works. If its fine, its VLC, if its not, its the drivers + card. ******* ATI... sometimes, man, its just a PAIN.

supaflyx3 October 5, 2010 10:38 PM

+1 for MPC-HC with DXVA, my whimpy 8400GS handles 1080P no problems with a P4.

Arinoth October 6, 2010 09:50 AM

Like i said, no issues once i actually had gpu acceleration turned on. One of the first things i did when i finally got to installing xbmc on my htpc/server and it has no issues with 1080p playback.