Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 7, 2010, 09:02 AM
Top Prospect

Default WIP: my ghetto HTPC/Gaming rig

Case: Lian LI PC-33

PSU: Seasonic M12D, 850W

CPU: i7-860 @ 4GHZ, HT-OFF (lower temps, don't need HT for what I use this thing for, but I'll probably re-enable it once the project is finished).

Motherboard: EVGA P55-FTW

Memory: OCZ3G1333LV4G x2 (waiting for 2000Mhz modules...)

Storage: OCZ Vertex2 Extended 120G

Optical Drive: External Asus Blu-Ray rom, just for installing the OS, and a few retail games, rather buy from Steam though.

Video: 2x Gigabyte GTX460 1GB @ 825/2050

Cooling: Corsair H50 ghetto mounted in the optical drive bay until I finish the project, push pull with 120mm Nexus fans.

2x 80MM Noctua fans for the exhaust, 1x 140MM Noctua case fan for air flow.

KB/Mouse: MS Sidewinder X8 Mouse, MS Wireless KB (waiting on Logitech's new wireless and backlit KB), Laptop Desk pad for increased comfort for PC gaming from the couch.

Laptop Desks, Laptop Stands & Laptop Accessories - LaptopDesk.net

A/V: Denon AVR 2307-CI
- lol got this in 2006, but it's still good enough for me. I only need 2 HDMI ports, and it supports LPCM over HDMI, so as long as the source can decode DTS-HD or True-HD then it's fine.

SVS 5.1 SBS-01 surround sound speaker set with the PB-10 sub woofer.

Sharp LC-52E77U LCD-TV, I really despise LCD's but I don't really trust plasmas for HTPC use either, so I went with this one, the good news is that it can be tweaked for very minimal input lag.

Plans:

1: I have no need for the optical drive bays, so I'll have them removed / cut out.

2: Mount the Radiator right at the top of the case where the optical drive bays have been removed.

3: Find a place for the SSD, probably use 3M mounting tape.

4: Drill new holes and have the 140mm fan moved "up" a bit to provide more air flow over the CPU area. The 2nd GTX460 runs pretty cool, as there are side vents in this case, so it doesn't really need additional air flow.

5: Dynamat or whatever solution to dampen the noise, applying to the bare areas and the top panel.

Sorry for the piss poor SE X10 pics:

Last edited by Bao; September 8, 2010 at 09:39 AM.
Old September 7, 2010, 09:31 AM

My System Specs

Did you make that 140mm fan mount yourself?
Old September 7, 2010, 09:36 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Did you make that 140mm fan mount yourself?
Nope, it came with the case plus a decent 140mm fan.

The previous version of this system, was with a MATX EVGA P55 board using a Thermalright AXP-140, and for some reason I didn't buy a 140MM fan with it, so I used the Lian Li 140mm fan that came with the case, then later on I bought the Noctua fan to put back into the case bracket. I prefer the acoustics and performance of the Noctua. So when I did the ghetto mount with the H50 and new motherboard this past weekend, I kept the Noctua and shelved the Lian Li Fan.
Old September 8, 2010, 04:21 AM
Rookie

My System Specs

Default HTGPC

Instead of leaving your H50 in your drive bays ,I believe these cases are the same Installed the ECO cooler like this
Just a Idea
Attached Images

Old September 8, 2010, 06:45 AM
Top Prospect

These cases are very similar, and that was my original idea, but there's a big mess of cables there and with my H50 using two fans in P/P it might be even tighter. But yes your suggestion is way better than my idea of gutting out the 5.25 bays.

:)

Did some measurements, with some work, a 360mm rad will fit.... going all out boys!

Last edited by Bao; September 9, 2010 at 04:19 PM.