Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old September 10, 2010, 05:09 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Is that a sub i see in the second image from the top?
what make/model is it, and what about the main spkrs?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
begin your drooling

Yup which is why i prefer either DTS or PCM.

Ego cogito, ergo deus non est.
Old September 10, 2010, 05:40 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

1. yes that is my main sub. It's an athena 4100 and is rated at around 400W it has a 10" Down firing driver.
2. The speakers are my baby's. JBL Venue Series Model Stadium (2 woofers, 1 midrange, 1 tweeter) unfortunately they don't make them anymore so the closest ones to them would probably be something from the JBL ES series. For those itnerested here is the rest of the equipment in my setup.

JBL Venue Stadium - Fronts x2
JBL Venue Voice - Center
JBL Venue Balcony - Backs x2
JBL ES Bookshelf Rear - Surround x2
Athena P-4100 - Subwoofer
Marantz SR 5003 Receiver
Epson 1080p UB Projector
PS3
Wii
Winegard ATSC Tuner
Technics Turntable
Apollo Tape Deck
JVC 5 Disc cd player
JVC VCR
Harmony 880 Remote
A-100 Popcornhour

Things i have left to add to this is a proper screen. (IE: 102" Motorized screen.)
Old September 10, 2010, 07:25 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

lcdguy, i asked about the sub because i bought one about 1 month ago; after calibration and watching a couple of movies (WOTW and Saving Private Ryan) and some music (Roots! African Drums), my first thought was: "this sub has opened a brand new world to my ears".
One more octave down the frequency ladder makes an enormous difference, and it is worth the cost.

i see you have some old pieces of equipment and some more recent; much of mine date back to around 1985-1987, but they were among the best at the time, like the Hafler DH500 amp/Hafler DH110 preamp.
the worst one is my Yamaha SR-50, the very first year for Dolby decoding/surround in the home; it predates Pro-logic. It is not very good - no directionality in the rear - but it's ok for me as i don't want to spend lots of money for just maybe a few years, as i'm not a young guy nowadays.

Old September 10, 2010, 07:30 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

yup the older pieces were freebies from the garbage in my younger days of rooting through peoples garbage looking for electronics.

There are actually 5 woofers in that setup. But only the one big one. Each tower has dual 8" woofers. i'd love to get a nice big 15" velodyne 1000watts baby :D or check out the Rotary Woofer
Old September 10, 2010, 07:43 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

then, if you'd like to get a nice big one, at about the same quality but much cheaper than Velodyne, you should read tests about the SVS subs; those tests/reviews are listed on the SVS site. there are also comparative tests.
the cylinder subs take up less space on the floor and they're about half the weight of the box ones.

my cylinder (PC12-Plus) weighs 55 lbs; the equivalent box (PB12-Plus) weighs 110 lbs.
there's a good thread about the SVS here: Official SVS Owners/Support Thread. - AVS Forum

Old September 10, 2010, 07:49 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcdguy View Post
or check out the Rotary Woofer
who would want a rotary sub! ; they destroy houses with their 170db @ around 4Hz with only a small power amp.

Old September 10, 2010, 10:00 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

me if i had a home structurally capable of housing one
Old September 29, 2010, 11:54 PM
Trial Member

I always go for 1080 p blu ray rips if possible.Not full blu ray 1080 p rips which is stupid since its almost impossible to tell the difference between compressed rip done properly and lossless.Its quite easy to tell the difference between 1080 p and 720 on a 58 or 60 inch Lg which i have even sitting far back.The only disadvantage is for whatever reason my computer plays 1080 p rips terrible but when i play em on my hdtv wdtv player there's no problem.Sucks that hdtv still is not gonna be 1080 p for quite a few more years so you would have to hope tv shows come on blu ray to get the best quality
Old September 30, 2010, 07:10 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackjack22 View Post
I always go for 1080 p blu ray rips if possible.Not full blu ray 1080 p rips which is stupid since its almost impossible to tell the difference between compressed rip done properly and lossless.Its quite easy to tell the difference between 1080 p and 720 on a 58 or 60 inch Lg which i have even sitting far back.The only disadvantage is for whatever reason my computer plays 1080 p rips terrible but when i play em on my hdtv wdtv player there's no problem.Sucks that hdtv still is not gonna be 1080 p for quite a few more years so you would have to hope tv shows come on blu ray to get the best quality
Unless you have the eyes of an eagle in a fair comparison there is no visual difference between 720 and 1080P when sitting "far back" from a 60 inch or smaller TV.

Now if you're comparing a 720P /4.5GB rip vs 1080P lossless then of course the 1080P wins.

If your PC can't play 1080P properly, it's hopefully just a software tweak that you need to apply, or else you just need new hardware, but since you already have a working WDTV, stick with that.
Old September 30, 2010, 08:24 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Seeing as this has been bumped up i've been going with what i can find really, so 720p, neutered 1080p or 1080p, provided the size ranges between 4.5 and 10GB.