Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 15, 2010, 09:45 AM
Rookie

Default NAS/FILE STREAMING

I am looking to build my own NAS device...this doesn't present a challenge to me if i just want to back things up. I was planning on using FreeNAS to do this..

However, I want to take the videos and what not on my NAS device and stream them to my PS3 so i can watch them from there on my tv. Is this possible and if so what will I have to do...

Do i need to connect the NAS device to the network then have a PC bring the movies up and push the PC to the TV...also id like to have the NAS device server as my torrent client where the downloads go right to it....

any ideas?
Old July 15, 2010, 09:50 AM
F@H

My System Specs

How much storage do you need for this NAS? It almost sounds like you need an HTPC as that would allow you to do everything on one small platform and connect it to the tv as well.
Old July 15, 2010, 09:53 AM
Rookie

I was seeking around 8TB in a RAID 5/6
Old July 15, 2010, 09:57 AM
Rookie

furthermore, my ultimate goal would be too use this NAS to backup data access it from anywhere as with play it from anywhere in the house as well as download torrents to it...I am decent enough with networking just not sure if this is really possible as far as streaming to the PS3...if it had DLNA i assume it would work
Old July 15, 2010, 10:10 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

If you can install something like Tversity on the NAS then that could handle the streaming to the PS3 (provided the hardware is sufficient). There are other programs that can serve the PS3 as well but I am not familiar with any of them (PS3mediaserver is one).
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old July 15, 2010, 10:16 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You can also use Twonky Media Server as well, i used it for a good year when i was using my DNS-323.
Old July 15, 2010, 10:27 AM
Rookie

I was going for more of a system without an operating system...that would be more true to a network attached storage device.
What about putting windows server on...then i could setup FTP as well as the twonky software or Tversity...So how exactly does the twonky software work? i was reading a little about it seems like its integrated very well, would you recommend a powerful computer to run the software...since i was going without an operating system at first thought the device is quite weak as far as power goes...
Old July 15, 2010, 10:30 AM
F@H

My System Specs

You dont need a powerful computer to run the software. As i mentioned i had it in a DNS-323, that is running an ARM processor and it had no issues with it at all. Twonky Media Server is basically just that, it allows you to stream to whatever device you want, you can stream video, music, and even pictures. You can also set what MAC addresses you want to have access to it. Ultimately i left Twonky as i'm slowly moving to using a windows based htpc/server with xbmc to watch said content on it in a graphically pleasing view.
Old July 15, 2010, 10:38 AM
Rookie

Does twonky have the ability to stream HD content in an acceptable manner?

I have heard of xbmc before...if i threw on windows server can xbmc be ran on that and since its designed to run on the network can it be pushed to the playstation then?? not too familiar with xbmc

check that after thinking through that stupid statement it makes little sense to put xbmc onto a server...

so if i put it on a regular operating system then i would have to have DLNA on my tv to really send it over the network or just push it to the PS3 then
Old July 15, 2010, 10:41 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Twonky should have no issue streaming any content. It would be all on the receiving side if it had the processing power to decode and play HD content (and wired not wireless connections).

Can't help you with the xbmc pushed to ps3 as its relatively new grounds to me, hopefully someone else can help answer that for you