Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2010, 06:38 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Default HTPC...for a tube TV?

My parents alway complain that I download movies to my computer and they can't watch them (I won't let them since I'm usually gaming on it) . I'm thinking of using old parts, like my Athlon x2 4400+, 2GB of RAM, DFI Lanparty Ultra-D, and I believe an Asus 8800GS. The problem is it would be going to a 32" tube TV with only the red/white/yellow jacks (Name is escaping me right now) for input options. Going to the 5.1 home theatre thingy would be easy, since they don't care for 5.1 sound. It'd just be going from the onboard 3.5mm jack to the red/white jacks using an adapter.
However, is there any way to go from an 8800GS to a TV like that? The video card has two DVIs and an S Video. I know there's breakout boxes that usually come with the card, but I don't have that, nor do I think it has the outputs I'm looking for.

Any help is greatly appreciated.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old July 11, 2010, 06:41 PM
F@H

My System Specs

It wouldn't be the best image, but isn't there a svideo input on the TV? Other than that, you'd probably have to get your hands on a different vid card that has the break-out box/cable. IIRC, on many of the older ATI cards there's an adapter that splits the svideo into the 3 plugs (component video).

edit: More importantly.... are you sure the plugs on the TV are actually component video and not just standard rca video + L/R audio jacks?

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old July 11, 2010, 06:43 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

For only $1.56 each when QTY 50+ purchased - VGA to S-Video/RCA (Composite) Adapter Cable - Black | VGA to Svideo/RCA
sorry i couldnt find a DVI one
Old July 11, 2010, 06:47 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by sswilson View Post
It wouldn't be the best image, but isn't there a svideo input on the TV? Other than that, you'd probably have to get your hands on a different vid card that has the break-out box/cable. IIRC, on many of the older ATI cards there's an adapter that splits the svideo into the 3 plugs (component video).
I figured there would be an S Video input, but nope. I believe the TV probably pushing over 10 years. The shitty thing is I have a 7600GT, 8800GS, a 4870 (family/borther's gaming PC) and a 4870x2 (mine), so none of those fall into the criteria of old ATI card with break out box.

And the r/w/y plugs are component? I knew there's component and composite, but never remember which is which.
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old July 11, 2010, 06:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

This CANNOT be done with nvidia cards, i have tried it with several and those adapters or others don't work. You need an ATI card since they give you more control of the output type then nvidias do
Old July 11, 2010, 06:56 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
I figured there would be an S Video input, but nope. I believe the TV probably pushing over 10 years. The shitty thing is I have a 7600GT, 8800GS, a 4870 (family/borther's gaming PC) and a 4870x2 (mine), so none of those fall into the criteria of old ATI card with break out box.

And the r/w/y plugs are component? I knew there's component and composite, but never remember which is which.
Component video - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Component is 3 connectors for video, composite is a single rca for video, but has r/w connections for audio... I suspect your tv is 1 video + L/R audio, and as such you'd need an ATI card with an svideo - composite adapter.

Gigabyte C1007UN-D / 2X4G Gskill PC3-10700 / Pico PSU / 2.5" 750G Toshiba HDD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 19" BenQ / 1X 17" HP
Old July 11, 2010, 07:05 PM
F@H

My System Specs

I'm going to be testing out my vga or is it dvi to component on my ati htpc whenever my damnable heat sink arrives as i'm pretty sure you can do that as well, so i've read
Old July 11, 2010, 08:22 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I'm home now so I can browse the internets freely. Sorry, I tried to make it clear in the first post. The TV has the red/white/yellow plugs for input, which is the yellow (composite) for video and red/white for sound. The news about NVIDIA sucking for HTPC does not surprise me, but it is saddening that I can't use already owned hardware.
And I've got three S Video adapters, all them the same. All of them useless to me.

EDIT

Just found one of these bad boys in my 4870x2 box. I doubt it'd work though. (Really big picture)

http://www.hisdigital.com/UserFiles/...ter_1_1600.jpg
Code:
<firebane> slightly used

Old July 11, 2010, 08:39 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Yep, for composite the only way is to use an ati card that has the Integrated AMD Xilleon™ HDTV encoder.

Or you can use a converter box such as this.

DealExtreme: $34.99 UltiMate 2000 AX VGA to Composite Video Media Convertor Box
Old July 11, 2010, 08:39 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

RCAs are the old school red white and yellow cables. Yellow = video W/R = left and right audio

Composite is Red green and blue, and is video only, no audio. supports higher resolution than rca... I think...

That yellow Svid-RCA barrel adapter is exactly what you want, then you just need a single strand RCA cable to go from that to the TV. Molded Composite RCA Cable

Then for audio, a 3.5mm to rca like this. Buy the Ultra U12-40618 12ft MP3 3.5mm to RCA Audio Adapte at TigerDirect.ca EDIT: I see you already had that one figured in the OP

you should be able to pick them up for a few bucks at any radio-shack... uh or whatever today's equivalent is.

Be forewarned that RCA is limited to 480i, but if you have an oldschool CRT, it will only be 480i anyway.
Closed Thread