Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 14, 2010, 06:25 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by headsh0t View Post
The S-video to RCA (well, video out) cable that came with my 6800gt worked fine on my 24" tube tv
For sound just run audio out to the receiver. That cable that Zero linked looks like it will fit the bill!

And to be fair to LionRed, it probably is a better idea buying one of those media players since the interface would be easy to use, it is tiny and takes barely any power and has all the connectors you need on it. You could easily get the money needed for it by selling those old parts. Although you can still make it easy enough for them by putting a single folder on the desktop titled "MOVIES", and you would also have all the regular functions of a computer...
That wasn't the adapter i was talking about. S-video to RCA will work because its essentially the same signal. What i was saying doesn't work are those passive vga/dvi to composite/component as nvidia doesn't give you access to switch the output video spectrum properly compared to ati allowing you to.
Old September 3, 2010, 02:59 PM
Top Prospect

Be nice to your parents let them use the PC, J/k j/k

but srsly, you should test if the TV will take the signal or not first, I built an HTPC 2 months ago, only to find my TV won't take any signal weather I converted from DVI, VGA to component or RCA or even direct S video it was a 26" Pukasonic tube tv, the video card was a HD 46701gb.

I ended up just buying a new tv, because the VGA to RCA converter box i bought made this horriable line sometimes during movies.

Last edited by btecanada; September 3, 2010 at 03:04 PM.
Old September 3, 2010, 03:11 PM
Allstar
F@H

i just went to NCIX for a link to this.. was just going to suggest the same thing, lol. you can stream right from your PC to it, or add a 2.5" hdd and use it as a file storage (movies and such). you could always sell some of your spare parts to buy one. i have one in the living room and it's my favorite thing i've bought in a long time. :)

Old September 3, 2010, 03:23 PM
Hall Of Fame

Component and Composite both fall into the "rca" cable type.

Composite = R/W/Y
Component = R/G/B

Component -> S-Video -> Composite

Best bet is to use composite cables with a vcr as stated above.
Old September 3, 2010, 03:31 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

The problem was solved two months ago. I don't know why this thread was even revived, but you guys can stop giving advice.
Old September 3, 2010, 03:59 PM
Allstar
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero82z View Post
The problem was solved two months ago. I don't know why this thread was even revived, but you guys can stop giving advice.
didnt even notice the date of the original post. also, the advice might be useful to someone else some day.

Old September 3, 2010, 04:05 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT! View Post
didnt even notice the date of the original post.
And that's exactly the problem. No offense, but people should really pay attention to the date of the posts in the thread before they go and reply to it.
Old September 3, 2010, 04:39 PM
Allstar
F@H

someone bumped an old thread.. better call the forum police!!

Old September 3, 2010, 07:39 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT! View Post
someone bumped an old thread.. better call the forum police!!
Did someone call the forum police?

Old September 3, 2010, 10:20 PM
F@H

My System Specs

Thread locked, people really should be looking at post dates and stop thread resing unless it was a subject they themselves had issues with that re-occured or had the same issue and the op had no resolution to begin with
Closed Thread