Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 11, 2010, 09:47 PM
F@H

My System Specs

You've got the names a little mixed up.

RCA = Composite = Yellow video with Red and White for left/right audio = 480i
RGB = Component = Red, Green Blue video (usually accompanied with a red/white audio cable) which can do up to 1080i (or p, not sure)
Old July 11, 2010, 09:48 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

DealExtreme: $2.50 PC to TV Cable (S-Video + 3.5mm to Composite AV) 5 ft
Problem solved . I've used this with my laptop (integrated 6150SE) and with my 65nm GTX260. Both worked perfectly.

Edit: Just noticed that adapter you found from your 4870X2. That should work as well.
Old July 12, 2010, 12:02 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I used to used to have my 7600GT connected to my tv. I used an s-video to component cable. Worked like a charm. As for audio, I just used my pc speaker system which at that time was a FPS 1600 by creative (cambrige soundworks). As soon as I switched to my 8800GT, I couldn't get the s-video to component to work on the same tube tv. Odd...right now I'm using an old P4 northwood with a radeon 7000 with s-video to component and it works.

EBAY(http://myworld.ebay.ca/scott0639)
Old July 12, 2010, 06:45 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpfan4ever View Post
I'm home now so I can browse the internets freely. Sorry, I tried to make it clear in the first post. The TV has the red/white/yellow plugs for input, which is the yellow (composite) for video and red/white for sound. The news about NVIDIA sucking for HTPC does not surprise me, but it is saddening that I can't use already owned hardware.
And I've got three S Video adapters, all them the same. All of them useless to me.

EDIT

Just found one of these bad boys in my 4870x2 box. I doubt it'd work though. (Really big picture)

http://www.hisdigital.com/UserFiles/...ter_1_1600.jpg
That should work fine with pretty well any ATI card that has a S Video jack.

You can try a PM to Supergrover to see if he had any luck with Nvidia cards and composite output. I know he put a lot of time in trying to get it to work with one of those 5 1/4 bay LCD displays, but suspect he finally ended up with an ATI card.

Asrock AM1H-ITX / AM1 Athlon 5350 / 2X4G Gskill PC3-14900 / Intel 6235 Wi-Fi / 90W Targus Power Brick / 250G Samsung 840 Series SSD / Mini-Box M350 / 1X 22" Dell IPS / 1X 22" HP
Old July 12, 2010, 09:16 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Alrighty, multiple facepalms were had this morning.

First, my TV has an SVideo input. It's on the side opposite of where every other damn connector is on the TV. Secondly, I found my NVIDIA breakout cable/box exactly where I looked yesterday, where it should have been, and it should work. NVIDIA's port isn't SVideo on their cards, it's something else that's similar. Hence a straight back of video card to SVideo input wouldn't work. Luckily I have the choice of now composite or SVideo (if I can find the only SVideo cable I have) because of the breakout box.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old July 12, 2010, 09:56 AM
MVP

Why not just pick up something like this? NCIX.com - Buy Patriot Box Office Network Media Player 2.5IN HDD Support USB HDMI LAN MKV RMVB ISO DTS P2P - PCMPBO25 In Canada.

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old July 12, 2010, 10:03 AM
F@H

My System Specs

Probably because of the price tag
Old July 12, 2010, 10:07 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Because there's no reason to spend money when you're got all the parts for a rig sitting on your floor.
Code:
<martin_metal_88> I think I am gonna sell my server
<firebane> i will offer pereniums mom
<firebane> slightly used
<Keltron> slightly is an understatement
<LPfan4ever> Who're you kidding...slightly?
<martin_metal_88> peri's mom, slightly used? lol...

Old July 12, 2010, 02:26 PM
MVP

Well....if you have an old VCR kicking around you could just input the S-Video into it and use the Component to the TV?

RIP Kiwi - Oct 19th/05 - April 18th/11, you will always be our puppy!
Old July 13, 2010, 10:55 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
This CANNOT be done with nvidia cards, i have tried it with several and those adapters or others don't work. You need an ATI card since they give you more control of the output type then nvidias do
The S-video to RCA (well, video out) cable that came with my 6800gt worked fine on my 24" tube tv
For sound just run audio out to the receiver. That cable that Zero linked looks like it will fit the bill!

And to be fair to LionRed, it probably is a better idea buying one of those media players since the interface would be easy to use, it is tiny and takes barely any power and has all the connectors you need on it. You could easily get the money needed for it by selling those old parts. Although you can still make it easy enough for them by putting a single folder on the desktop titled "MOVIES", and you would also have all the regular functions of a computer...

Last edited by headsh0t; July 13, 2010 at 11:06 PM.
Closed Thread