Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2010, 06:55 AM
Rookie
F@H

Default Network setup for media server gigabit..

I currently have my computers setup on a 10/100 lines and wireless n to my media server upstairs. wireless n router is the linksys wrt110 and the router is a BEFSR41v3 (little older but o well) The DHCP server is the wired router. my network is as follows.

Cable modem > BEFSR41v3 > WRT110 > Media Server
Hub > Computer 1
> game systems
Computer 2
reason for this is that the cable modem is in the corner of the basement and the router is right beside it then a lan line to the wireless router which is in the middle ceiling of the basement.

So im looking at getting a WRT610N gigabit dual band for the g laptops i got and n for the media server. Now i don't want to run a line from the cable modem to the router and back to the computer. My main question here is can i plug the cable modem into a switch then a line to the wrt610 and have that as my dhcp server or does the cable have to go into the wrt610? thanks
Old July 7, 2010, 07:28 AM

My System Specs

There should be no problems if you plug the modem in to the switch, then from the switch to the router. If your IP requires mac address registering then you'll have to register all devices plugged in to the switch. If your IP does not require it, it should be pretty hassle free.