Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old July 7, 2010, 05:28 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Default HTPC Keyboard/Mouse suggestions?

I am currently using the Lenovo Multimedia PALM-SIZED Mini Wireless Keyboard and Track Ball Mouse 2.4GHZ 10M USB Remote for my HTPC and so far it kinda sucks. No backlighting, distance sucks and poor layout for Shift, Caps, Delete and Backspace buttons. Anyone with suggestions with something they are happy with?
Old July 7, 2010, 05:34 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by p3t3rson View Post
I am currently using the Lenovo Multimedia PALM-SIZED Mini Wireless Keyboard and Track Ball Mouse 2.4GHZ 10M USB Remote for my HTPC and so far it kinda sucks. No backlighting, distance sucks and poor layout for Shift, Caps, Delete and Backspace buttons. Anyone with suggestions with something they are happy with?
Yes I have the same problem as well. I am using a wired setup and I would like to go to a cleaner looking setup.

Old July 7, 2010, 05:38 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

What OS are you running? I have tried a couple of wireless keyboard/trackball/trackpad combos and they are all just OK. There are a few apps for the Iphone that turn your Iphone into a remote as well.
GAMER: Win7 Pro x64, I7 3770K (stock) (CM 212+), Asus P8Z77-V Pro, Gigabyte 7970 OC Ghz Edition 3 GB, Corsair Vengeance LP 4 x 4GB DDR3 1600Mhz, Crucial M4 120 GB + 256GB, Crucial M500 480 GB SSD, 1TB WD Blk, BRD, HX750W, Auz X-Fi Prelude, & Fractal Design Arc MIDI R2

Lenovo Ideapad Y510p: i7-4700MQ 2.4GHz (undervolted by 80mV), 16GB DDR3L-1866MHz, Intel GMA 4600HD / SLI'ed Nvidia Geforce GT 755M 2GB GDDR5, 240 GB Crucial SSD, 128GB M.2 SSD, 15.6" HD+ Glossy LED
Old July 7, 2010, 06:10 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I thought about an iphone app but then my wife can't use the HTPC when I am not around.
Old July 7, 2010, 06:36 AM

My System Specs

The dinovo mini has a great layout but it was designed stupidly. When you hit the backspace key the back lighting shuts off. Besides that, it is great.

I am currently using a Rii Mini, which sucks. Arrow keys are horrible. Plus unlike the Dinovo you can't really two hand it for XBMC. Everything is almost done w/ the right hand.
YouTube - Rii mini wireless keyboard (Worlds smallest wireless usb keyboard w/touchpad) second look
Old July 7, 2010, 06:41 AM
Top Prospect
F@H

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
The dinovo mini has a great layout but it was designed stupidly. When you hit the backspace key the back lighting shuts off. Besides that, it is great.
I wish I was faster getting to your sale on your dinovo mini sooner
Old July 21, 2010, 05:20 AM
Rookie

im using the enermax aurora wireless keyboard for my htpc and so far its been flawless... distance is good and i like the finish on it... i also use the dinovo mini as backup but mostly for my ps3
Old July 21, 2010, 08:01 AM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

I am using this little monster ( with the remote it's kick ass ) NCIX.com - Buy Nmedia Black Wireless Keyboard & Remote Combo RF 2.4GHZ 40 Feet with Trackball - HTPCKB-B In Canada.

The mouse is a track ball that is on the remote and on the KB. Range is nice and KB is good.
If you want something more classy there is the Dinovo Edge from logitech with a track pad or the Dinovo Mini
NCIX.com - Buy Logitech Dinovo Mini MCE HTPC Wireless Keyboard Backlit Bluetooth 30FT Range LI-ION - 920-000595 In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy Logitech Dinovo Edge Bluetooth Ultra Slim Wireless Keyboard Rechargeable LI-ION W/ USB Mini Receiver - 967685-0403 In Canada.

The dinovo edge is nice since it's a rechargeable keyboard. If you want to buy a blutooth adapter then you can get this one
Cordless MediaBoard Pro? for PSŪ3

Martin_metal_88
Colenzo : See system spec!

Odysseus : I7 860 @ 3.6Ghz || GA P55-UD5 || G.skill Ripjaws F3-16000 2000Mhz 2X2GB || Coolermaster ATCS 840 || Silverstone Strider plus 850W || WD 640 black - WD 1TB green - Samsung F3 2TB || MSI 5670 1GB Cyclone ||Coolermaster Hyper 212 + ||

Old July 22, 2010, 01:01 PM
Top Prospect

I'm using a IOGear keyboard with built in trackball

IOGEAR WIRELESS 2.4GHZ KEYBOARD,ERGONOMIC,TRACKBALL
Old July 23, 2010, 01:27 PM
Banned
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by btecanada View Post
I'm using a IOGear keyboard with built in trackball

IOGEAR WIRELESS 2.4GHZ KEYBOARD,ERGONOMIC,TRACKBALL
I have that exact same thing and I'm typing on it now. hmmm where do I start... the trackwheel sucks and feels like a hollow plastic thingy, it stutters and looses connection and somethings the l/r clicks don't work at about 10 feet away, the scroll wheel completely sucks because it's too soft, the media "shortcuts" suck and the top buttons feel extremely cheap, and sometimes fast typing will lag and a whole bunch of completely incorrect characters will be inputted, and then you have to go back to slowly correct them. The scissor keys feel pretty good though, they're just like laptop keys. Oh and there's a bug with all of them where you can't click and drag otherwise the cursor will jump around like crazy. All personal experience in Win7x64.

If you can afford it, get a logitech dinovo edge. They also have a cheaper on bluetooth for PS3, I highly suggest against it (don't support Console markets). That one also has a bunch of buttons that can only be used on a PS3 (no native remapping), and there is no 'windows' key.