Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   HTPC Keyboard/Mouse suggestions? (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/33969-htpc-keyboard-mouse-suggestions.html)

p3t3rson July 7, 2010 05:28 AM

HTPC Keyboard/Mouse suggestions?

I am currently using the Lenovo Multimedia PALM-SIZED Mini Wireless Keyboard and Track Ball Mouse 2.4GHZ 10M USB Remote for my HTPC and so far it kinda sucks. No backlighting, distance sucks and poor layout for Shift, Caps, Delete and Backspace buttons. Anyone with suggestions with something they are happy with?

norfolk July 7, 2010 05:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by p3t3rson (Post 400577)
I am currently using the Lenovo Multimedia PALM-SIZED Mini Wireless Keyboard and Track Ball Mouse 2.4GHZ 10M USB Remote for my HTPC and so far it kinda sucks. No backlighting, distance sucks and poor layout for Shift, Caps, Delete and Backspace buttons. Anyone with suggestions with something they are happy with?

Yes I have the same problem as well. I am using a wired setup and I would like to go to a cleaner looking setup.

Varroa July 7, 2010 05:38 AM

What OS are you running? I have tried a couple of wireless keyboard/trackball/trackpad combos and they are all just OK. There are a few apps for the Iphone that turn your Iphone into a remote as well.

p3t3rson July 7, 2010 06:10 AM

I am running Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit. I thought about an iphone app but then my wife can't use the HTPC when I am not around.

lowfat July 7, 2010 06:36 AM

The dinovo mini has a great layout but it was designed stupidly. When you hit the backspace key the back lighting shuts off. Besides that, it is great.

I am currently using a Rii Mini, which sucks. Arrow keys are horrible. Plus unlike the Dinovo you can't really two hand it for XBMC. Everything is almost done w/ the right hand.
YouTube - Rii mini wireless keyboard (Worlds smallest wireless usb keyboard w/touchpad) second look

p3t3rson July 7, 2010 06:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lowfat (Post 400595)
The dinovo mini has a great layout but it was designed stupidly. When you hit the backspace key the back lighting shuts off. Besides that, it is great.

I wish I was faster getting to your sale on your dinovo mini sooner :angry2:

cmge July 21, 2010 05:20 AM

im using the enermax aurora wireless keyboard for my htpc and so far its been flawless... distance is good and i like the finish on it... i also use the dinovo mini as backup but mostly for my ps3

martin_metal_88 July 21, 2010 08:01 AM

I am using this little monster ( with the remote it's kick ass ) NCIX.com - Buy Nmedia Black Wireless Keyboard & Remote Combo RF 2.4GHZ 40 Feet with Trackball - HTPCKB-B In Canada.

The mouse is a track ball that is on the remote and on the KB. Range is nice and KB is good.
If you want something more classy there is the Dinovo Edge from logitech with a track pad or the Dinovo Mini
NCIX.com - Buy Logitech Dinovo Mini MCE HTPC Wireless Keyboard Backlit Bluetooth 30FT Range LI-ION - 920-000595 In Canada.
NCIX.com - Buy Logitech Dinovo Edge Bluetooth Ultra Slim Wireless Keyboard Rechargeable LI-ION W/ USB Mini Receiver - 967685-0403 In Canada.

The dinovo edge is nice since it's a rechargeable keyboard. If you want to buy a blutooth adapter then you can get this one
Cordless MediaBoard Pro? for PSŪ3

btecanada July 22, 2010 01:01 PM

I'm using a IOGear keyboard with built in trackball

IOGEAR WIRELESS 2.4GHZ KEYBOARD,ERGONOMIC,TRACKBALL

0o0 July 23, 2010 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by btecanada (Post 406392)
I'm using a IOGear keyboard with built in trackball

IOGEAR WIRELESS 2.4GHZ KEYBOARD,ERGONOMIC,TRACKBALL

I have that exact same thing and I'm typing on it now. hmmm where do I start... the trackwheel sucks and feels like a hollow plastic thingy, it stutters and looses connection and somethings the l/r clicks don't work at about 10 feet away, the scroll wheel completely sucks because it's too soft, the media "shortcuts" suck and the top buttons feel extremely cheap, and sometimes fast typing will lag and a whole bunch of completely incorrect characters will be inputted, and then you have to go back to slowly correct them. The scissor keys feel pretty good though, they're just like laptop keys. Oh and there's a bug with all of them where you can't click and drag otherwise the cursor will jump around like crazy. All personal experience in Win7x64.

If you can afford it, get a logitech dinovo edge. They also have a cheaper on bluetooth for PS3, I highly suggest against it (don't support Console markets). That one also has a bunch of buttons that can only be used on a PS3 (no native remapping), and there is no 'windows' key.