Hardware Canucks

Hardware Canucks (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/)
-   HTPC Systems & Software (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/)
-   -   XBMC Advice (http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/htpc-systems-software/33898-xbmc-advice.html)

Arinoth July 4, 2010 03:06 PM

XBMC Advice

I am now waiting on the majority of my htpc/server/seed box to arrive in the mail i have a couple of questions for those of you whom are wise in the art of XBMC.

1. What program can i use to rename my movies into a name that XBMC will recognize?
2. Should i have any issues running this on Windows 7 (amd2 triple core processor and 2 gb of ram).
3. Merge my 2 or 3 cd movies into 1 single file
4. What file format is the best for video, mkv, avi, xvid

Any other suggestions/recommendations are welcome

jay51 July 4, 2010 04:21 PM

your hw will work fine,i used it with less.had np.
i basically just used it with navi-x. or divx/avi/axvid
i think lowfat is the xbmc jedi hehe. im not sure about renaming or merging cds.

TopDogZero July 4, 2010 07:31 PM

Not sure what software to use to merge multiple CD movies but it would probably take a while since I think the movies would have to be re-encoded. But if I remember XBMC will play the videos in a row if the names are such example (movie name) CD1, (movie name) CD2 and so on, I think that would be easier than merging your videos.

Arinoth July 4, 2010 07:42 PM

Yes sounds like it, just need to figure out how to use Ember Media Manager for my movies and TVRename for my tv shows.

Cheator July 4, 2010 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 399633)
I am now waiting on the majority of my htpc/server/seed box to arrive in the mail i have a couple of questions for those of you whom are wise in the art of XBMC.

1. What program can i use to rename my movies into a name that XBMC will recognize?
2. Should i have any issues running this on Windows 7 (amd2 triple core processor and 2 gb of ram).
3. Merge my 2 or 3 cd movies into 1 single file
4. What file format is the best for video, mkv, avi, xvid

Any other suggestions/recommendations are welcome

1. The newest SVN builds are doing really well at recognizing, so you might not have to at the next version.

2. Nope, i do so and it works great on my phenom 1 tricore

3. You don't have to but i would recommend it as XBMC's library gets confused on those

4. I like h264 encoded 1080p stuff.

What are you using for hardware acceleration? You'll probably want to look at the new SVN builds because they offer DXVA, assuming you have an nvidia card. ATI has a driver issue with some cards

Behemoth- July 4, 2010 07:48 PM

you can give a look at DVDFab to merge many video files in one (in don't think it does blu ray - hd dvd), I used it for something similar and it did work fine back in the day.

Arinoth July 4, 2010 07:50 PM

For number 4 i meant in general, i personally prefer 480p (aka the 1.5GB movies) as i notice an improvement over divx/xvid but i dont any higher pixelation.

My htpc/server will be sporting an Integrated ATI Radeon HD4200

I'm trying to use Ember Media Manager, do i have to un collect some of my movies together, it seems to skip any movie collections i have. Ex
Bad Boys Movies \
Bad Boys 1\ Movie
Bad Boys 2\ Movie

Do i need to keep them all separate, will xbmc 'collect' movies from the same series?

Cheator July 4, 2010 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arinoth (Post 399742)
For number 4 i meant in general, i personally prefer 480p (aka the 1.5GB movies) as i notice an improvement over divx/xvid but i dont any higher pixelation.

My htpc/server will be sporting an Integrated ATI Radeon HD4200

I'm trying to use Ember Media Manager, do i have to un collect some of my movies together, it seems to skip any movie collections i have. Ex
Bad Boys Movies \
Bad Boys 1\ Movie
Bad Boys 2\ Movie

Do i need to keep them all separate, will xbmc 'collect' movies from the same series?

Well if you're runnign 480p you won't have an issue. But you might with 720p and 1080p.

As for movies in the same series, it won't clump them together, they'll be separate. I used to put them in one directory, now i leave them in their own directories. Series, however, is a different story.

kingnubian July 4, 2010 08:20 PM

I use XBMC daily on Win7 Home Pro (Also Linux) with great results & your hardware looks good (AMD 7805G? 708G?).

I use the free Wiagra video joiner with excellent results & it doesn't require a reincode when it joins.

Wiagra Video Joiner - Home Page

Realityshift July 5, 2010 01:48 AM

You have to seperate your movies from the same series