Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 27, 2010, 08:44 AM
MVP
F@H

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arinoth View Post
Have you tried XBMC for Windows (xp, vista or 7)?
I tried it on Win7. It works quite well. I was doing some test with XBMC on my laptop on Linux and it was very slow and navigating in the menus was a pain, but on my desktop and with win7 it's just fine, there's a better driver support , but the PC has some more horsepower too -.- The GUI is really nice.
Old June 27, 2010, 09:04 AM
Hall Of Fame

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Behemoth- View Post
I tried it on Win7. It works quite well. I was doing some test with XBMC on my laptop on Linux and it was very slow and navigating in the menus was a pain, but on my desktop and with win7 it's just fine, there's a better driver support , but the PC has some more horsepower too -.- The GUI is really nice.
i used it aswell with xp and win7, it worked very well on my 5200+ & 1gb ram ..excellent for streaming movies instead of dl'n them..

"Be so good at what you do that you cant be ignored"

Old June 27, 2010, 09:13 AM
F@H

My System Specs

I may go that route as there may be some extra things i'll be using with this htpc/server that i know has drivers/works in windows but unsure about in linux. To name a few usb to controller adapters, 20x2 lcd screen in case, my 'olderish' wireless remote for pcs that came with my x1900 back in the day, and remote connection/pc.
Old June 27, 2010, 11:29 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

The MAG doesnt support lossless through HDMI but I believe it does through the optical out, I may be wrong.

It is actually easier to get XBMC to run smoothly through minimal linux on alot of applications, and I find with the alaska skin installed menu performance is pretty much lag free on the ATOM/ION builds. I highly recommend this skin, hitcher, the creator, made it as the anti aeon skin, its as minimalistic as you get yet it incorporates more in the way of flagging and video information the aeon did, and adds alot more and looks so much better then the stock confluence skin.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old June 28, 2010, 12:40 PM
Allstar

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realityshift View Post
The MAG doesnt support lossless through HDMI but I believe it does through the optical out, I may be wrong.
I really wish it did but I'm pretty sure it won't do DTS HD MA/Dolby True HD MA.
I wanted to get one awhile back because its the perfect size/price for what I need but in the end I just put together a cheap i3 box. I'd still buy one if I found out it did DTS HD MA/Dolby True HD MA, but I read acouple places it didn't. I think maybe Anand even mentioned it in his review.

Old June 30, 2010, 03:56 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Well personally its probubly not a feature ill ever need, this was more of a dirt cheap alternative, something that will probubly only see a 42" 1080p tv with HT in a box for my parents and for this it excels completely.

BF BC2: Bishop_SHIFT, Steam: Realityshift84, Xbox Live - SHIFTEDone84 ... Come play.
Old July 2, 2010, 12:56 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by r0bc View Post
I really wish it did but I'm pretty sure it won't do DTS HD MA/Dolby True HD MA.
I wanted to get one awhile back because its the perfect size/price for what I need but in the end I just put together a cheap i3 box. I'd still buy one if I found out it did DTS HD MA/Dolby True HD MA, but I read acouple places it didn't. I think maybe Anand even mentioned it in his review.
You could always just build an i3 itx system if you are looking to bitstream.
Old July 3, 2010, 12:02 AM
Allstar

My System Specs

I did,just a cheap box nothing fancy.
I looked at the Dell Zino HD also but same deal with audio.