Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old June 14, 2010, 10:02 AM
Rookie

Default Need your opinion on a first build

Hi everyone,

I just subscribed here cause I thought there were some interesting posts and figured I could use some of your precious knowledge. I was planning on building a HTPC, and I want to use MythTV with it.

Here's what I picked off for now, any advice/comments are welcomed:
Case: Moneual LAB EGI w/ 300W PSU
MOBO: Gigabyte GA-H55-S2H
CPU: Intel i3 530 2,93 GHz
Mem: 4Gb OCZ DDR3 PC3-10666
Optical Drive: Plextor Blu-Ray Writer
HD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB
TV card: Hauppage HVR-1600

Is there anything I might have forget
Let me know what you think!

Thanks
Old June 14, 2010, 05:32 PM

My System Specs

Does the PVR-1600 work w/ your provider? A lot of cable/satellite providers in Canada have problems w/ digital tuners. Otherwise it looks fine to me.
Old June 14, 2010, 05:44 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

My System Specs

looks good to me aswell. although you might want to bump the PSU up to something like this: NCIX.com - Buy Seasonic SS-350ET 350W ATX12V 20/24PIN ATX Power Supply Active PFC 80PLUS 120MM Fan OEM - SS-350ET In Canada.
instead of using a cheap PSU that comes with the case, just to be safe.
Old June 14, 2010, 06:33 PM
Folding Captain

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowfat View Post
Does the PVR-1600 work w/ your provider? A lot of cable/satellite providers in Canada have problems w/ digital tuners. Otherwise it looks fine to me.
The 1600 is a dual tuner so it will do the analog no problems. I doubt it will do cable-digital, but may do any over-the-air that might be available if he has an antenna.
Fold for team #54196
Old June 15, 2010, 06:30 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriskwarren View Post
The 1600 is a dual tuner so it will do the analog no problems. I doubt it will do cable-digital, but may do any over-the-air that might be available if he has an antenna.
The reason I picked this card was because it was supported by MythTV, but I'm not sure if it will work correctly.
HTML Code:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Video_capture_card
My service provider is Bell ExpressVu (satellite), and I have no clue of the type of signal they are broadcasting. I wanted a card that could support recording/watching a program at the same time.

Also, I might go with nPCMedia case w/ a Corsair CMPSU-450VX instead of the Moneual because I want to have plenty of room in case I want to put in a full size PCI card.

Thanks all for your advice, you are great!
Old June 15, 2010, 06:35 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub6 View Post
The reason I picked this card was because it was supported by MythTV, but I'm not sure if it will work correctly.
HTML Code:
http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Video_capture_card
My service provider is Bell ExpressVu (satellite), and I have no clue of the type of signal they are broadcasting. I wanted a card that could support recording/watching a program at the same time.

Also, I might go with nPCMedia case w/ a Corsair CMPSU-450VX instead of the Moneual because I want to have plenty of room in case I want to put in a full size PCI card.

Thanks all for your advice, you are great!
Pretty sure it isn't going to work. No digital tuner or satellite cad card will work. You need an analog capture card, like the Hauppauge HD PVR. And it is something I can't recommend as I've had serious issues with mine.
Old June 23, 2010, 08:45 AM
Rookie

Does that mean that I won't be able to record even standard digital signal? I didn't expect to record HD television. What I had in mind is building a PVR and a decent PC that I could play games with.

I own two set-top boxes from Bell, one 3100 and one 6141. I'm confused about what kind of signal it is. I know it's digital (might be dvb-s?). What about ATSC, NTSC is it a standard here in Can?

Will this mean my Hauppauge TV tuner card won't work at all? Should I cancel the project?
Old June 23, 2010, 10:11 AM
Top Prospect

Quote:
Originally Posted by veedub6 View Post
Does that mean that I won't be able to record even standard digital signal? I didn't expect to record HD television. What I had in mind is building a PVR and a decent PC that I could play games with.

I own two set-top boxes from Bell, one 3100 and one 6141. I'm confused about what kind of signal it is. I know it's digital (might be dvb-s?). What about ATSC, NTSC is it a standard here in Can?

Will this mean my Hauppauge TV tuner card won't work at all? Should I cancel the project?
I'd recommend you cancel the TV part of the project. You might want to build an HTPC for other uses, like listening to music, watching movies etc...but the TV part is not going to be pretty, even the SD part.

To answer your questions:

NTSC is an old analog standard (more than 50 yrs old) for SD TV broadcasts. It is used widely, and that is what your TV gets when you are viewing SD output from the older bell 3100 receiver.

ATSC is new and is meant for digital over the air broadcasts only (but not satellite). For digital signals on cable, QAM is used. But here's the catch: almost all TV signals broadcast over cable using QAM are encrypted, so the HVR-1600 can't work with them. Since you are with Bell Expressvu, this doesn't really apply to you.

The HVR-1600 can do both NTSC and QAM/ATSC. ATSC is awesome: just plug a TV antenna in to the HVR-1600 and you have SD and HD signals over the air - free. The only issue is how many channels you will get.

Now for your bell set-top boxes. It is a MESS to plug them in to the HVR-1600 card.

The 3100 can connect - sort of. Two ways: plug in the coax output of the 3100 to the analog NTSC coax cable in, and leave the HVR-1600 at channel 3. The other way is to plug in a composite or S-video signal (don't know if the 3100 has S-Video output). But to change channels, you need to use the Bell remote or get some IR blaster thing hooked up from the PC, making it more of a mess. In the end, it will work as a PVR and record TV, but it is complex and error-prone.

The Bell 6141 set-top box can connect in a similar way. But why? The 6141 has a USB port - you can get a hard drive in a USB enclosure (between 60GB-1TB in size), plug it into the 6141, and now you should have a PVR.

That is it - just plug in a USB hard drive to the 6141 - and no need to mess with a tuner card in a separate PC.
Old June 23, 2010, 10:31 AM

My System Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK View Post

The Bell 6141 set-top box can connect in a similar way. But why? The 6141 has a USB port - you can get a hard drive in a USB enclosure (between 60GB-1TB in size), plug it into the 6141, and now you should have a PVR.

That is it - just plug in a USB hard drive to the 6141 - and no need to mess with a tuner card in a separate PC.
Whoa. So I could get a PVR w/ a $99 receiver and an external hard drive? If so time to ditch Shaw Direct. Eff paying $500 for a PVR. And I am sick of my POS Hauppauge HD PVR.
Old June 23, 2010, 10:54 AM
Top Prospect

There are several Bell set-tops that can be converted to a PVR by adding a hard drive. Some have dual tuners.

Have a look at the Digital Home thread on this (second post in the thread is good):

Bell External Hard Drive Facts - Digital Forum