Go Back   Hardware Canucks > HARDWARE > HTPC Systems & Software

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old May 10, 2010, 08:57 PM
Hall Of Fame
F@H

Default Need input on a planned ITX build

Since we don't have a SFF section I figured I'd post this question here since I think people here will be more familiar with this sort of thing.

The wife wants a little computer to put in the bedroom, and she's stated many time that she wants it to be small. Before I get the lectures, I know that the ITX platform is not the best performance per $$$ and a similarly priced matx system would be better but I really would like to do a ITX build... just for something different.

She wants it for basic web surfing, M$ Office, and photo editing... which realistically includes includes looking at them, maybe some cropping, and on the outside hitting shift+U in irfanview to sharpen the colours. It may go beyond that in the future but not too far. I figured I'd also add in music and BD play back capability where the BDs would be a rip that would reside on a network computer.

So, I was thinking on a Zotac 9300-I-E in a Apex MW-100. I may be getting my hands on a e6300 (or e5200) and 2GB of DDR2 ram, if not I'd probably get a e5300 and get the K version of the Zotac board and go with 2 or 4 GB of DDR3. I guess first off any yays or nays on those choices? I've been doing some research on power requirements and that all (at least on what I'm looking at) consume ~75W fully loaded which probably wouldn't happen in real life use. Problem is the PSU in the Apex case is rated 60W. I'm not above under volting/under clocking to get the power requirements down since it'd still be better than the ION offerings but I still think I'm asking for trouble trying to use the stock psu. Does anyone know if those psu's are upgradable?

Sorry it's a lot of vague half questions but I'd like to hear some opinions!
EVGA GTX 280 (SC?)
OCZ Gamer Xtreme 600W PSU
Cooler Master Cosmos on water
Old May 10, 2010, 11:24 PM

My System Specs

If you will be getting the CPU for free than it looks alright. But if you don't have it I think it would make more sense to buy a Pentium G6950 + Gigabyte H55 ITX board. I am sure the 60W PSU will be fine either way.
Old May 21, 2010, 10:21 AM
Top Prospect

My System Specs

I had the Zotac 9300-G-E running a Celeron E3200, 160gb 2.5" SATA and 4GB ram on a 60W (antec itx case) with no problems. I used it as a HTPC/Media server with no issues.